Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Area Champs???

Phil Dunlop

I've been trying to get a slot at this US Limited Nats, to date without luck.

As an overseas competitor could anyone advise which would be the 'best' Area Champs if I can't get to the Nats.

Logistics would tend towards the West coast, which is nearer home, but the important thing is the competition.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks P.D.

Phil, are you talking about still this year 2001? Some of them have already been shot. I live in Florida and Area 6 was shot in April. Area 4 has also been shot in late May. I think Area 2 was also shot. I remember someone saying something about Area 8 being shot around Aug 25-26. Area 5 is set for July 6-8 (217-394-2282, Russell Cluver). Area 7 is set for Sept 7-9 (508-881-8997, Rob Boudrie). Area 1 is set for July 13-15 (360-629-4417, Joe DeSimone). Area 1 is being shot in Marysville, Washington, Area 5 is being shot in PASA Park, Illinois. Area 7 is being shot in Westhampton Beach, Long Island, New York.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

You don't need a slot to shoot the nationals. It is merely a guaranteed entry. You can always walk up and sign in. Even at the real popular events, like the recent Open Nats in Vegas, with 400+ competitors, they still took walk-ins.

I understand the nationals held in Illinois are not nearly as popular and there is a lot of room for walk-ins. They might be a little more popular now with the back-to-back events.

This year Area 5 is probably going to be as close to the Nationals as you can get except at the Nat's themselves. 15 stages, IPSC level 3 certification (i.e. not run-and-gun-until-you-puke COFs...), same location, many of the same staff. The COFs are on the Web already, check it out.

--Detlef

(Edited by Detlef at 1:37 pm on June 25, 2001)

Hey, Pat!

I'll be at Area One. Be sure to say hello.

I just switched over to shooting a Limited gun a few weeks ago. If I can't get classed in Limited by the match I'll be competing as an Unclassified shooter. Do they still offer trophies and other cool stuff - assuming I could actually post high enough to win something, I mean - for the Unclassified people, or do you actually have to have a classification to win?

It's over three days right. I'll track you down at some point and say hi. Read the prizes thread this is one of those matches that doesn't believe in handing out to winners. Check their website but I'm pretty sure prizes are being raffled.

Pat

Phil,

You might want to consider Area 2.  It's being held in November in conjunction with the Rio Salado Desert Classic again this year.  I went last year & it was a lot of fun.

There won't be as many stages as the Nat's.  But, it will have a lot of top notch competition.  I think there were 25 or so GM's there last year.

Plus, it's at the center of the Benosphere.  What more could you ask for?  Maybe the Ghost Dog will show up and shoot this year.

Phil,

I did also shoot the Classic last year. The stages were good, and of course high roundcount. That means no stage required less than 15 rnds., but still it was a good match. Still prefer IPSC style courses of fire.........

Do you know for sure that the National slots are out? I got one, but then again, I guess I was #1 on the waiting list.

Even

(Edited by Even at 7:48 am on June 28, 2001)

Evan, I'd love to shoot the Nationals, trouble is that big journeys like this need planning, I need to employ someone to cover for me, then there's the paperwork!

I'll retry USPSA on the issue of walk ons.

Thanks P.D.

I was on the waiting list for a slot at Nationals.  I got a call a week or so ago.  a slot had become available for me.  Trouble was, it was an Open slot.  I don't have an Open gun.  Make sure you are on the waiting list if you really want to shoot.