Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Open 9Major

olp73

Hi

I have entered the dark side, cookies or not, I expected more problems than I have had up until now.

Since this is a small frame Tanfoglio 9mm Para. I shot the gun using just factory ammo for a while. I just wanted to take it easy and hoped that potential problems would show up. In a way it did. Lately I have started to develop a load for it using VV N105. (7,8gr for a PF of 160+). Before I tied out this load, I changed the recoil spring for a heavier one, 10 pounds. Before it had an 8 pounds spring installed.

What has been a problem all the way is that the gun ejects the cases up and in to the mount. This was a problem both with the factory loads and with the hotter reloads mentioned. With the factory loads I had one failure to eject in 100 rounds because the case got stuck between the mount and the slide. With the reloads this got a lot worse, like one in every mag. I then removed a little material form the mound and I am now back to one in 100. I have also experienced some other strange ejection problems but my guess is that the case goes in to the mount and back in to the ejection port because the extractor will hold an empty case like it could, but I might be wrong on this.

The marks under the mount clearly show that the problem is still there. The gun needs some ejection tuning and I hoped you could help me out.

(The gun has a alu. C-more on an Alex mount)

Edited by olp73

olp73, could you take a pic of your ejector so I could see the angle? Just for kicks, see if you can find some x-power extractor springs. I am picturing your gun ejecting more upwards than out. My Old P9 ejects its cases at about a 2 o'clock position and is very reliable. If you post or email a pic, I can compare the cut to mine.

Hi

I have entered the dark side, cookies or not, I expected more problems than I have had up until now.

Since this is a small frame Tanfoglio 9mm Para. I shot the gun using just factory ammo for a while. I just wanted to take it easy and hoped that potential problems would show up. In a way it did. Lately I have started to develop a load for it using VV N105. (7,8gr for a PF of 160+). Before I tied out this load, I changed the recoil spring for a heavier one, 10 pounds. Before it had an 8 pounds spring installed.

What has been a problem all the way is that the gun ejects the cases up and in to the mount. This was a problem both with the factory loads and with the hotter reloads mentioned. With the factory loads I had one failure to eject in 100 rounds because the case got stuck between the mount and the slide. With the reloads this got a lot worse, like one in every mag. I then removed a little material form the mound and I am now back to one in 100. I have also experienced some other strange ejection problems but my guess is that the case goes in to the mount and back in to the ejection port because the extractor will hold an empty case like it could, but I might be wrong on this.

The marks under the mount clearly show that the problem is still there. The gun needs some ejection tuning and I hoped you could help me out.

(The gun has a alu. C-more on an Alex mount)

You have extractor problem not ejector!!!

You must to remove small material from extractor(small pin on left side extractor) and you solve the problem!!

Dont remove to much material becouse you must bye new extractor in that case!!!

olp73, could you take a pic of your ejector so I could see the angle? Just for kicks, see if you can find some x-power extractor springs. I am picturing your gun ejecting more upwards than out. My Old P9 ejects its cases at about a 2 o'clock position and is very reliable. If you post or email a pic, I can compare the cut to mine.

I'll take somepictures to night…….but It looks to me like the gunsmith ("baker'n") has angled the ejector slightly. In this manner. See illustration.

post-4542-081963700 1288341066_thumb.jpg

It might not be enough? Another thing, could it be angled both downwards, like in the picture, and outwards (if you look at the ejectorfrom above it will also have an angel towards the ejection port)?

Edited by olp73

post-4542-009673900 1288549918_thumb.jpg

post-4542-067747600 1288549990_thumb.jpg

Please do!!! :)

shoot it without the mount and see if it functions

100% if it does, get a Quin mount or docter sight with JV mount, Crspeed moutn with cmore sts will also work.

There's nothing to hit the brass..even if you tune the extractor

and ejector, there's still a chance you get a stuck brass after 120rds or so.

believe me its is frustrating especially when shooting a stage.

I have been thru this road and painful journey.

Edited by shooterbenedetto

I have to agree with Brit, that is a small hole for that brass to escape. My suggestion: in pic #2 I am thinking you could bevel/flare the portion of the mount right above where the brass is sitting. Might just give you enough room for the brass to escape. How is your extractor tension? Remove the extractor and see if ther might be a bur etc... that might be preventing the case from releasing freely. The cut on ejector looks OK from what I can tell. As I mentioned earlier, my gun ejects around 2 o'clock and my C-More gun's mount is one sided, and spent brass clears the mount with no issues at all. I believe you mentioned this gun was built from a small frame limited? If the frame was drilled, I am thinking the mount is too far back, and too low. When I drilled for my C-More mount, I allowed exactly 1/8" of an inch. Doesn't seem like much, but it was enough. I hope you can get this figured out, I know how discouraging it can be. Can you get ahold of "Fastgun"? He is using the same mount, maybe you could compare your gun to his and see maybe what might/could be different. Keep us posted if you make some progress.