Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I-KAM shooting glasses

TannerB

I have a pair and have been using them for a while. They are pretty cool. The video quality is ok and they are easy to use. The "real life" view is pretty awesome. I have found that the sights are almost lined up with iron sighted guns. For guns with optics you can't see all that much. My wife said that the video looks like a video game.

I bought some because of review in the Shooting Wire. I bought mine off of Ebay at a very reasonable price. They work great and do look like a video game. I edit the videos with Windows Movie Maker. We used them in Las Vegas at Nationals and didn't have any wind noise.

• 1 month later...

do the lights inside distract you at all as they are recording or do they distract you as you are getting ready to shoot the stage?

No - in fact I have to pull the glasses forward slightly and look for the lights to make sure the unit is recording before the buzzer goes off.

I've been using a set now since last spring, and they work pretty well. It would be nice if the camera was over the eye, and not in the middle of the frames. That way, the sights would line up on the camera. But that isn't such a big deal.

The only real complaint I have is that they aim too low for when you are shooting. If I wear them normally, I get a good view of the top / rear of the gun, but can usually only see the bottoms of the targets. I end up putting the ear pieces across my ears in order to "aim" the camera in the right place. Also, you can't wear earmuffs with them.

Due to the camera location, they really don't work well when shooting a long gun. I shot a rifle match a few months ago, and all I could see in the video was the side / rear of the scope. It pretty well filled up 80% of the screen. Some iron sighted long guns are better. The farther forward you can mount the optic, the better you are.

Works very well with handguns, though.

The picture tended to wash out some in this one. For most of it, I was in the shade, shooting at targets in the sunlight. You can also see how even with iron sights, the picture is somewhat covered by the gun.

(apparently you can only post two videos per post)

Here is a video from a recent bowling pin shoot, using a .22 conversion. You can see how the scope gets in the way. Now imagine it with a traditional magnified scope.

I've had mine since they were first offered. As noted by others the point of which the lens is mounted a little low. While running a stage I get to see the rear of the gun and my hand positions pretty well. Never see the whole sight picture or the target. Plan to play a bit with adding pads to the nose pieces to see if I can get the FOV higher. The quality of video is very good and I think the sound quality is great. Oh, and yes it's tough to wear muffs with them on, had to add padding to my left muff. These are great for dry fire practice when combined with a laptop camera to give the alternate point of view and show you how bad your skills are.. :roflol:

Not sure how important it is to everyone but the lenses are only "impact resistant", the following is from their user manual:

"WARNING: i-Kam Xtreme glasses contain impact resistant lenses; they are NOT safety glasses. Although the lenses are impact resistant, it does not make the lenses shatterproof. Impact resistant lenses may break or shatter under certain conditions."