Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

69 gr Nosler load

JDBrum

I'm looking for some quick advise on where to start with my powder charge.

69gr Nosler, Federal Match Primer,Varget Powder... Barrel length is 16" and 1-9" twist.

Reloading book suggest 23.4 - 26+

What do you think I should start with???

Always the same advice - start with the bottom charge and work up in 0.5 increments to get a rough idea then tune.

FWIW, I tried Varget with 69gr SMK and had less than stellar results. It doesn't flow well in my Dillion for one thing. When I tested it, 24gr and 25gr yielded nearly identical results and were slower than the same amount of AA2230, so I quit trying.

Your mileage may vary.

I was at 25g of Varget before I switched to RL15.

Did you switch for the way the powder metered or accuracy or?? Im collecting the stuff for my 650 a little at a time to reload and havent bought bullets,brass or powder yet. But Im going to use 69 SMK and Scharch brass. The powder is the only thing unsettled still. No hijack ment.

Edited by tnek

Varget would not meter in my 550. Powder all over the place. I use 26.2gr. of H335 with a 55gr. NBT and because H335 is a ball powder it flows like water. I've got some Benchmark powder and some 69gr SMK that I want to try. The Benchmark is suppose to meter much better in the Dillon press than Varget. Good luck.

Thanks guys for all of the feedback..

I'll start to work up some loads and head to the range to see how they perform.

Additionally, it appears the general consensus is.. I may need to look for another powder..

I was at 25g of Varget before I switched to RL15.

Did you switch for the way the powder metered or accuracy or?? Im collecting the stuff for my 650 a little at a time to reload and havent bought bullets,brass or powder yet. But Im going to use 69 SMK and Scharch brass. The powder is the only thing unsettled still. No hijack ment.

slightly better performance and it does meter better in my dillon550.

but with the results i'm expierencing in my .40 loads since changing from titegroup to vv n320, (can you say smooooooth) i'm giving some serious thought to trying out another VV powder, such as n133 as previouly mentioned in this thread.