Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullseye

Mikej

We have started an informal Bullseye match at my range. I have a couple of decent guns but thought a revolver would be fun to try. We have a rimfire section and a center fire section. Accuracy and the ability to mount a red dot are my main concerns. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks

Mike

Accuracy shouldn't be too big of an issue, my stock revolvers outshoot anything else I own in single action. Mark Itzstein makes a great low mount for optics, he's Pinshooter on the forums. I'm not sure if he makes them for the general public or not.

Accuracy shouldn't be too big of an issue, my stock revolvers outshoot anything else I own in single action. Mark Itzstein makes a great low mount for optics, he's Pinshooter on the forums. I'm not sure if he makes them for the general public or not.

In Bullseye accuracy is the first item you want to check off your need to do list

If your revolver isn't capable of sub 1.5" groups at 50yds out of a ransom rest you will need to find one that is then start to tweak it to your liking

if shooting factory ammo this will get expensive as match ammo will almost be a necessity.

bullseye shooting 95% mental and 5% trigger control (that is if the gun is capable of sub 1.5" groups @ 50yds)get the trigger done first then shoot it for awhile and then mount a 1in ultra dot on it and never look back

I shoot a Colt 70 series and a ruger 22/45 w/ ultra dot in my local bullseye league

It will improve your strong hand only shooting immensity

In Bullseye accuracy is the first item you want to check off your need to do list

If your revolver isn't capable of sub 1.5" groups at 50yds out of a ransom rest you will need to find one that is then start to tweak it to your liking

if shooting factory ammo this will get expensive as match ammo will almost be a necessity.

bullseye shooting 95% mental and 5% trigger control (that is if the gun is capable of sub 1.5" groups @ 50yds)get the trigger done first then shoot it for awhile and then mount a 1in ultra dot on it and never look back

I shoot a Colt 70 series and a ruger 22/45 w/ ultra dot in my local bullseye league

It will improve your strong hand only shooting immensity

I have to disagree with the clarification that I'm talking about this particular shooter who is "starting an informal bullseye league." While having a Camp Perry-level gun is nice, there's going to be a long hard slog before getting to where you can use its full potential, especially in the brutally precise sports like bullseye or Olympic shooting. A great trigger would be good to have from the start, but a factory Smith revolver should hold 3" at 50 yards out of the box, which is plenty until you're vying for the title.

I dabble in bullseye occasionally and was able to beat out a few .32 scoped ergo gripped target gunners at the Kentucky state games with my USPSA 1911. I know that's anecdotal, but the reason I was able to do it with exactly zero matches under my belt, USPSA ammo loaded through a progressive press, and iron sights is because I spent the winter shooting air pistol in my basement. Their guns may have been capable of holding sub 2" at 50 yards, but they themselves certainly weren't.

Now if he has the money and the time and the desire to obtain such a gun, then great. But it shouldn't be the first concern. I would say that trigger work and grip work would be first along with a ton of practice, ubertuning can wait.

H.

I actually have a couple of pretty good bullseye guns that I bought from a bullseye shooter. My rimfire gun is a Ruger that has had trigger work and an Ultradot scope added and my centerfire is a Glock open gun with a Cmore. I have a Caspian 1911 in 45 with an ultradot also. I just thought it would be fun to try shooting the centerfire portion of our match with a revolver. The problem will occur when I have to shoot 5 rounds in 10 seconds. It might have to be double action shooting in that sequence. Thanks for all the comments.

Mike

Do you still have to have a four pound single action trigger for bullseye?

.22, revolver or semi-auto: 2 lb min.

CF revolver: 2 1/2 lb min.

CF semi-auto other than .45: 2 1/2 lb min.

.45 semi-auto: 3 1/2 lb min.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you still have to have a four pound single action trigger for bullseye?

NO it breaks at 2lbs

some get into it just like USPSA, a Rodney Toyota wad gun will cost exactly half of what a S_I gun will run and shot sub 1in 50yds group to boot

Just about any revolver will do for Bullseye informal shooting. I shoot a 686 with iron sights. Years ago I shot a model 10 highly modified. Had a real good trigger and Frank Glenn built it. Had a Douglas 1 inch barrel and an Aimpoint on it.

Biggest thing is to get an accurate load. For Bullsye I like 2.7 grains of Bullseye and a 148 grain full wadcutter. They make a great hole that you can see and verify your groups with. Also makes cutting the edge easier to spot.

Is your range set up for 50 yards? Our league would only shoot 25 yards and change to a different target to simulate the 50 yard distance. It will really help your shooting in the rest of the sports.

Make sure you have a couple of speedloaders so that you are not holding people back between rallies. Get your equipment set up, and relax and have fun.

I shoot informal bullseye just to keep things well rounded. It's great pratice for long shots. Use a S&W M 1905 6 inch target with Wadcutters, it's very accurate. Put it down and pick up my 625 IDPA gun and the scores at 25 yds are no different. Difference in accuracy of the two guns is lost in my hold.

If I shot our Club Sanctioned Bullesye matches dot scopes would make my outfit non-competitive. You can't shoot better than you can see.

Boats