Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nosler 69gr .223 Rem BTHP

ErikW

I got 250 of these because Midway has been out of MatchKings for a while. I plan to moly coat them (like I do all my rifle bullets) and load them over surplus 4895. (I ran out of W748.)

What's the skinny on these? A search revealed warpspeed and paraman1 used them. Guys?

The BC is .359? That gives about the same trajectory as the Sierra from 2750 fps.

$25.49 for 250 Noslers isn't especially cheap... about the same as Midway's frequent sale prices on the MatchKings. (BTW, did you know you can't have a pony tail if you want to work at Nosler?)

What I really want are inexpensive factory moly coated bullets. Sierra charges an arm and a leg extra, so I go through the hassle myself and blow black snot for a few days.

Erik,

I don't have any experience with the Nosler 69grn'r, but I have directly substituted the Hornady 68gr and the Speer 70gr for the Sierra 69gr when I ran out in the past and got pretty much the same POI shooting HighPower at 200 yard reduced courses with the S69 dope applied to my sights. My guess is that any good .224" diameter 68, 69 or 70gr projectile is gonna pretty much go to the exact same place as long as the case volume (read bullet base depth in case here) is kept the same and neck release tension is similar.

BTW, OK Weber has always had the best prices I have found on Sierra projectiles. They only quote the Moly coat price over the phone, but they do stock them. I don't use Moly so I have never asked the price at OK Weber, but I will bet they are cheaper than Sierra direct. http://www.okweber.com/

FYI, here is a good PDF on Moly by the man hisself (Mister David Tubb). His company (Moly Coatings Inc.) does the Moly coating for Sierra. http://www.zediker.com/articles/mca.pdf

--

Regards,

When I Moly coat projectiles I use a Car Painters mask. Fully sealed and it uses little white paper cartridge for air filters. You only have to have it on for ten minutes at a time and the only thing that get Moly on it is the bullets.

Cartridges are really cheap.

$25.49 for 250 Noslers isn't especially cheap... about the same as Midway's frequent sale prices on the MatchKings. (BTW, did you know you can't have a pony tail if you want to work at Nosler?)

Odd. The Noslers I bought were about 60-70% of the cost of Sierras. I thought Nosler was going to start after Sierra on price.

Even the gals can't have pony tails at Nosler? :P

I read somewhere that the Hornady 68 is a much better bullet than the Sierra 69, that it flies like the Sierra 77. Hard to believe.

I wondered the same thing about the pony tails. They said facial hair was acceptable, and I guess that applies to both men and women?

The Hornady 68 has a published BC of .355 and a SD of .194

The Sierra 69 has a published BC of .301 and a SD of .196

This data might indicate that the H68 flies better by a factor of 1.17:1 but in reality I have found them to be so identical in performance that you can load them interchangeably with each other and not change a thing on the rifle. I have shot both at 200, 300 & 600 in Highpower (long time ago when that's all that was available in .224 heavies) and they both suck equally beyond 300 yards compared to the better (read heavier) bullets available today.

BTW, the Sierra 77 has a published BC of .362 and a SD of .219 but definitely outperforms the H68 in wind bucking no matter what the BC says. The SD is more important in wind shear situations than the BC (think about punching through something like a shear wall air mass). The extra mass also contributes to stability through the extra momentum inherent in more mass, which more than offsets the BC similarity.

If the H68 was really as good as the S77, then all of the HighPower High Masters using 77's for 2-300 yards are wasting their money on the more expensive heavies for no actual benefit. Wrong!

--

Regards,

How do the 68-69 gr bullets fly out of a 1-9 twist? Can the 77gr bullets being discussed shoot well from a 1-9 or does the twist need to be faster? The Greenhill formula says a 1-8.5 is required for the 69gr bullets.

Almost all 1:9 barrels will stabilize the 69s. And if you find one that doesn't stabilize a particular bullet, you could just switch to a similar weight bullet of a shorter length.

(The Noslers I picked up look longer than the Sierras, but it just could be me.)