Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfoglio Stock, Legal For Production ??

iron guns rule

DELETED TEXT

I decided NOT to post my first response to this question. Rather,

If anyone has a very basic question like "Is X gun listed on the IPSC approved production gun list (the one available to the public on www.ipsc.org) or what division is it in under the current rules (available to everyone at www.uspsa.com)??" then it might be best for everyone iy one were to take a moment & look for the answer yourself. Had this been posted in the BEginners section of BE, I might not care but it was posted in the USPSA/IPSC rules section.

Your gun is the Tanfoglio 1911?? Or the single shot? Maybe a Tanfoglio single action open gun? Besides being a very basic question, it fails to provide enough info to answer. You also failed to specify USPSA (USA) or IPSC (outside USA), which have different rules for Production Division.

I am guessing you are in the US & I am also guesing your gun is one of the more common double action Tanfoglio guns imported into the US (by EAA). If so, its at least 9x19 caliber (since the smaller Tanfoglios are not imported here) and assuming it is double action, and assuming the barrel is not ported, then your gun is suitable for Production Division in USPSA.

BTW, I do not mean to come off harsh (hence the edit). Welcome to BE & welcome to the world of competitive action pistol shooting. C.

BTW, I do not mean to come off harsh (hence the edit).

LOL...that is the non-harsh version??? :o

Let's take it easy on the new guys. They are just looking for answers anywhere they can find them. Once they have been here for 200-300 posts...then we can give them an ear-full for not using the search function and such. ;)

Carlos, you assumed wrong. He said the manufacturer is Tanfoglio, not EAA. He said the model name is Stock, not Witness. Because of these, I assumed he is not in the U.S. and I assume I am correct. :) But you are right on one thing; he should have checked with IPSC.org first.

Garfield, most Tanfoglios are DA/SA like the CZ-75, though they have SA-only models.

Erik, you're assumptions are correct. And as far as checking the list goes: it's not very clear (at least to me). I would not assume that model Tanfoglio T95 Stock is the same as the model they advertise as "Stock". Especially since there are so many models on the list.

well carlos ...

i'm sorry i have put the question in here......the gun i referd to is the "STOCK" made by TANGFOGLIO and i'm NOT living in the usa (the world is bigger than that.....)

as i said in my second posting i did look in the approved list but the only "stock" gun in the list is the "T95F Stock" and i didn't reallize that this is the same gun......

so i probably won't bother you again with "stupid" newby question's......

greetings from the netherlands.....

and no.....that's not the capital of danmark....

Oh IGR is well capable of surviving: he beats the crap out of me with his CZ75 in IPSC PD, and now he apparently wants to degrade his equipment so we're on the same competitive level :P

And guys: maybe I haven't seen enough Tanfoglio's, but I have only seen SAO models, hence my assumption. I humbly stand corrected :mellow:

AFAIK, the guy that finished 2nd in to Dave Sevigny in the last World Shoot, shot a Tanfo Stock.

Spook is right.

At last World Shoot XIII the whole Italian Production team (Brocanelli, 2nd - Zuccolo, 4th - Iacomini, 6th - Piccioni, 22nd) shot a Tanfoglio T95 Stock. It is legal for IPSC Production Division, as uncle Vinnie pointed out.

Here a description (sorry for the bad english).

It's a widely used Production gun here in Italy.

Vince,

whenever you decide to start a list for Massimo's guns alone, let me know, I still have to learn how many different variations of the same gun can be ordered from the factory! <_<

Garfield,

you might want to take a look at Tanfoglio's website.

Hi guys,

I'm in a quandry. The dominant Australian half of me says "Bloody Italian gun manufacturers. We should ban all their guns because they have too many models and it's a bugger trying to keep up with them!", but the less dominant yet playful Italian side of me says "Lets drink more vino".

Frankly, our dear friends Pietro Beretta and Massimo Tanfoglio drive me nuts because of the number of different model guns they've released over the years but, so far, I've managed to keep a modicum of sanity on the Approved Gun List, thanks to a regular infusion of double espresso.

Anyway, as far as Tanfoglio is concerned, here is a list of their current guns which helps to clarify which ones are DA and therefore suitable for Production Division.

• 4 months later...

Does this gun come with a decocker, or it is a "manual decock" like my CZ-85Combat? The pic and all the details I can find seem to imply no decocker, but someone said this gun was designed for PD, in which case it would have one.. ??

Thanks!

omen

Omen,

at present the only Tanfos with a decocking lever are the ones with a slide-mounted safety, which acts as a decocking lever too (lowering the lever will apply safety and decock the hammer).

Tanfos with frame-mounted safety are not provided with a decocking lever, mainly because they allow carry in condition one (a.k.a. cocked 'n' locked). To uncock the hammer you'll have to pull the trigger and gently put the hammer at rest.

The Stock version of T95 has no decocking lever. ;)

Hmmm... Ok, thanks. So for PD purposes, I'd want the "T95 Stock"? What's the "Buzz" thing?

I'm using a CZ now, but am looking to upgrade to something with the same frame size/shape/etc, and I hear these are good pistols. I just want to make sure I get the correct model, for Production purposes.

How easy is it to get support/parts/etc for these pistols in North America?

Thanks!

omen

Omen,

maybe for further informations you'd want to browse Tanfoglio's website.

If you don't mind manually decocking a gun, there is nothing wrong with a Stock in PD. The Buzz thing is the ported version for Modified Division.

BTW, Italian gunzines have covered the release of a new Tanfo model for PD, which is basically a long dustcover-fat slide version of the T95 Stock, much similar to the Limited Custom HC model, apart for the magwell. They say it'll be available by fall here in Italy (and maybe Vince can relate on the submission of all details of this handgun to IPSC for inclusion in approved guns list).

Yes Tanfos are quite good pistols, but I doubt they are way better than CZs, and AFAIK, they're not so easy or convenient to purchase on the opposite border of the Ocean.

Don't even know if they have a U.S. resaler.

• 2 months later...

I've been finally able to post a photo of the new Tanfoglio Stock for Production Division.

Here it is:

3-5-1.jpg

Vince, if you're listening, could you tell us if the papers for it to be included in the approved list for PD Div. have already been presented to IPSC?

Scope mount holes are drilled on every Tanfo frame, regardless of the division (as you can see in the Limited Model for STD Div. below).

limitedcustomhc.jpg

I guess they mated an old stock slide with a new Open 9mm frame (long dustcover) that is being manufactured since last year, because I saw a few Tanfo Open guns with long dustcover frames.

No decocking lever, you're right, as it was in the old version of the Stock.

Again, I guess this was a specific request from the vast majority of the competitors: in all Tanfoglio pistols, the decocking lever is a slide-mounted one, and many competitors preferred to have clean slide lateral surfaces (for fast racking operations), instead of an ambi safety/decoker installed on it.