Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Does IDPA define the differnece between cover and concealment?

John K

I wish they would address this in some sort of official fashion. The way I see it is this:

Cover, no bullets go through. ie. walls/doors, cars, hard things

Concealment, I can't see you because of visual interference: ie. smoke, dark, shower curtain.

Yes, all cover can be concealment, but not all concealment is cover.

I would think that this would be a no brainer for the rule book.

John, it is completely and thoroughly addressed in the rule book.

It is a game. Forget about real world cover and concealment. In the game, concealment refers to a concealed carry garment. For what you're asking about, the game has hard and soft cover as defined below. Cover is also an obstable you have to shoot around.

The rules define hard and soft cover. Pass through hits score on soft cover. Pass through hits do not score on hard cover.

Soft cover by rule is all non-threat targets and brown threat targets and range props that allow a hit to be scored on the target.

Hard cover by rule is any area on a threat target that is painted black or similar dark color and any range prop that is designed to stop a bullet like steel plate obviously.

D. Hard Cover / Soft Cover.

Any shot that puts a full diameter hole in “hard” cover and continues on to penetrate the target will be considered to have missed the target (whether the target is a threat or a non-threat). There is no penalty for hitting “hard” cover other than the miss. IDPA recommends that clubs/course designers standardize on BLACK for “hard” cover simulation. Stage props are commonly used to represent “hard” cover or impenetrable objects such as walls, cars, barricades and furniture such as desks and file cabinets. Shots that penetrate “soft” cover will be scored as HITS. We recommend that clubs/course designers standardize on WHITE for “Soft” cover simulation, or use props such as windows, curtains, shrubs, etc.

Edited by Steve J

• 2 years later...

This thread answers how soft cover effects scoring.

My question is whether "soft" cover needs to be used for slicing the pie? I recently shot a stage where barrells were in the middleof the stage however, the stage description called them "soft" cover and further said that there was no cover in the stage for shooting purposes.

1. Is "soft" cover automatically cover for shooting (slicing) purposes?

2. Is "soft" cover automatically not cover for shooting (slicing) purposes?

3. Or with regard to the above do the rules require that it be defined in the stage description?

sjz,

1. I would say, no, but ask the SO/MD as they can make up their own rules regarding this.

2. I would say yes, but ask the SO/MD as they can make up their own rules regarding this.

3. Just ask the SO how he would like you to shoot the stage and do it that way.

Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering what the rulebook said.

Unfortunately, stage descriptions and/or then SO's interpretations, more often than not, conflict with the literal rules per the rulebook. Why have a rulebook then?