Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Moly coated bullets in my Stock 2?

Tanfogliofan

I currently use CMJ Montana gold's and they work great! I wanted to get some inexpensive moly coated to use for practice rounds but I'm not sure if you can shoot them through a Polygonal rifled barrel. Does anyone use these in their Tanfo's? and if so did you have any problems with barrel coating?

I used them for a short time in my CZ Shadow and after 50 rounds it would start key holing targets because the barrel would get so coated to where the rifling wasn't even noticable in the barrel.

Now in defence of the Moly coated, at the time I had the 147gn moly coated and I noticed it didn't have much surface area against the rifling. Now the 130gn moly bullet has more surface to barrel area and would seem to work better but I never tried those out. So if you have any experience with them please clue me in because I can get a hell of a good deal on these bullets.

Even though lead bullets are "Cheaper" they are a lot more of a pain in the ass to find a load that does not smoke like a choo-choo train or lead foul the barrel within a few hundred rounds. Not to mention the extra lead exposure when handling and shooting them. Shooting plated or jacketed bullets is a lot cleaner both in smoke and barrel fouling. To me reducing the smoke, cleaning cycle, and lead exposure is worth the extra price for plated/jacketed bullets. Are the lead bullets really "Cheaper" when you have to scrub the barrel 10 times more often and buy a bunch of different powders trying to find a load that does not foul the barrel quickly or smoke like crazy?

Even if you found a lead bullet powder setup that didn't smoke much or lead foul instantly it would still feel very different when you shoot. So really, what use is practicing with a load that is different than what you compete with? Practice with what you compete with. Why add another unneeded dynamic to the equation? Its hard enough as it is figuring out how to shoot well without throwing an extra monkey wrench into the mix.

Edited by CHA-LEE

I have been shooting lead cast since I bought my elite match. It is smokey and I never shoot them indoors. I wear rubber gloves when Im loading. I use Accurate #9 which seems to keep leading down a bit. I also use viniger and hydrogenperoxide mixed 50/50 to get the lead out. I only leave the barrel in for 10 minutes then scrub a little and done. Some say that combo is corrosive, but I havent seen any issues.

Last year I ran through 2500 precision 170's in my Match and they worked fine, the smoked less than the lead I normally shoot. the moly coating can fowl your barrel a little and it is harder to get out that strait lead but not to hard.

as for 147g 9mm lead bullets I have had problems getting them to stabilize out of my Tanfoglio 9mm's but they will shoot 158 grain lead bullets without tumbling. lighter bullets work as well but the guns don't seam to like the 147 bullets.

Mike

ps 9mm w a 158g bullet loaded to 130 pf is so soft it is like cheating.

• 2 weeks later...

I currently use CMJ Montana gold's and they work great! I wanted to get some inexpensive moly coated to use for practice rounds but I'm not sure if you can shoot them through a Polygonal rifled barrel. Does anyone use these in their Tanfo's? and if so did you have any problems with barrel coating?

I used them for a short time in my CZ Shadow and after 50 rounds it would start key holing targets because the barrel would get so coated to where the rifling wasn't even noticable in the barrel.

Now in defence of the Moly coated, at the time I had the 147gn moly coated and I noticed it didn't have much surface area against the rifling. Now the 130gn moly bullet has more surface to barrel area and would seem to work better but I never tried those out. So if you have any experience with them please clue me in because I can get a hell of a good deal on these bullets.

Molycoated lead projectiles are basically all we shoot here in Australia, due to cost & availability. Provided you use a quality projectile, I have shot 1000's through Stock II, Limited Custom & Eric Gold as 38super guns. In addition, Glock's, CZ's, HS/XD, M&P, S&W revolvers etc. There all fine. 125/135/145 projies, ADI AP50-AP70 (Clays-International Clays)is my powder of choice as it's produced locally.

The 2 critical parts when loadind lead are crimp (no too much, if any) & quality projectiles. If you are getting excessive leading, somthing is not right. My tanfogs never lead.

Edited by NOSAJ19

Even though lead bullets are "Cheaper" they are a lot more of a pain in the ass to find a load that does not smoke like a choo-choo train or lead foul the barrel within a few hundred rounds. Not to mention the extra lead exposure when handling and shooting them. Shooting plated or jacketed bullets is a lot cleaner both in smoke and barrel fouling. To me reducing the smoke, cleaning cycle, and lead exposure is worth the extra price for plated/jacketed bullets. Are the lead bullets really "Cheaper" when you have to scrub the barrel 10 times more often and buy a bunch of different powders trying to find a load that does not foul the barrel quickly or smoke like crazy?

Even if you found a lead bullet powder setup that didn't smoke much or lead foul instantly it would still feel very different when you shoot. So really, what use is practicing with a load that is different than what you compete with? Practice with what you compete with. Why add another unneeded dynamic to the equation? Its hard enough as it is figuring out how to shoot well without throwing an extra monkey wrench into the mix.

Here you go:

38super

125-135/4.0-4.2AP50/31.5mm OAL.

9mm.

125-135/3.1-3.3AP50/1.1" OAL.

I have been using mastercast bullets and dardas bullets in my 9mm limited for about 7 months now. I use them to practice with and to shoot matches with. If the smoke is to much, then you are standing around to long :blush:

I clean my barrel every 100 to 200 rounds with a lewis lead remover (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=21587/Product/LEWIS_LEAD_REMOVER) It works great, and the time it takes to clean the barrel is still worth buying lead. You are going to get an argument from people who use strictly lead and those that shoot FMJ, etc.

Use what you like! You can buy bulk in FMJ and only end up paying $18-25 more for 1000. Take a look at Precision Delta, they have great prices on FMJ.

by the way, Bob Vogel uses Precision bullets (Precision Bullets are swaged with certified 6/2 lead alloy)

http://www.precisionbullets.com/

Use what you are comfortable with! ;)