Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What steel to buy to start with?

Aglifter

I spend part of the year in SC - where I can shoot a match every weekend - usually, either IPSC/USPSA, steel challenge, or action pistol. I belong to a club which has a plate rack set up, and some falling targets for members to use - they have poppers, TX stars, etc, but those are only for matches.

I spend the rest of the year in TX, where I can shoot IDPA every weekend (might become a bit boring), and probably IPSC/USPSA twice a month - but it is 1.5hrs-2hrs to get to those matches - I still drive to them, as there's not a great deal to do... er, at least, not that I want to do...

So, I spent a couple weeks last spring building berms, etc - still maybe another 30 hours or so till I'm really happy, but its functional - I want to level it out some more, and deepen my bay a bit.

I shoot open, and have a 2011 being built by FGW for IDPA, w. a 22 conversion kit.

Financially, I can buy a TX star + 22 conversion set for it, or a plate rack - which is better for practice? I might be able to swing a 22 only plate rack, in addition to a TX star, as the 22 targets seem to be mass produced, and pretty reasonable.

The main thing I need to work on, IMO, is my initial draw, and finding the dot, but I've noticed I REALLY suffer if I don't shoot a match/week, and it helps a great deal if I go out and shoot my 22 the night before.

How many times are you willing to reset the star when you're shooting by yourself? Would you rather holster, walk to the star, pick up steel off the ground, balance steel on top of the the star, insert 5 plates, and walk back to the line or just pull a rope?

That's why I'm looking to buy a plate rack. If I was shooting several times a week with 3 or 4 other shooters so that resetting the star wasn't a big issue, it'd be more fun, but I suspect the novelty would wear off pretty quick shooting and resetting for yourself.

Of course, if you have the budget for it, the obvious answer is to buy both!

One other thing to consider is that a half dozen static plates are pretty cheap ($50-100 each, depending on construction) , and offer the opportunity to set up a wider variety of different exercises than either the plate or the star.

Edited by bbbean

I am constructing a range on my property also.

I went with mgm steel.

2- 10 inch tac rounds

2- bcc zones

2- mini auto poppers

Ill start with this for now, I'm sure ill add more in the future.

In fact, my next 2 will be standard pepper poppers with claybird throwers.

Congrats on your range.

talk to tom drazy at drazy metal works, he has some really nice steel. We had an all steel stage at area 4 with his steel, I prefer his release mechanism over the others, its much more consistant.

I would recommend buying small steel and challenge yourself. The steel that most American matches have are very big and easy. This is why the American shooters struggle at IPSC matches. Don't make the same mistake as they did starting out.

I spend part of the year in SC - where I can shoot a match every weekend - usually, either IPSC/USPSA, steel challenge, or action pistol. I belong to a club which has a plate rack set up, and some falling targets for members to use - they have poppers, TX stars, etc, but those are only for matches.

I spend the rest of the year in TX, where I can shoot IDPA every weekend (might become a bit boring), and probably IPSC/USPSA twice a month - but it is 1.5hrs-2hrs to get to those matches - I still drive to them, as there's not a great deal to do... er, at least, not that I want to do...

So, I spent a couple weeks last spring building berms, etc - still maybe another 30 hours or so till I'm really happy, but its functional - I want to level it out some more, and deepen my bay a bit.

I shoot open, and have a 2011 being built by FGW for IDPA, w. a 22 conversion kit.

Financially, I can buy a TX star + 22 conversion set for it, or a plate rack - which is better for practice? I might be able to swing a 22 only plate rack, in addition to a TX star, as the 22 targets seem to be mass produced, and pretty reasonable.

The main thing I need to work on, IMO, is my initial draw, and finding the dot, but I've noticed I REALLY suffer if I don't shoot a match/week, and it helps a great deal if I go out and shoot my 22 the night before.

Can you weld and have access to scrap steel?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=106158&hl=home made texas star&st=0

talk to tom drazy at drazy metal works, he has some really nice steel. We had an all steel stage at area 4 with his steel, I prefer his release mechanism over the others, its much more consistant.

I would recommend buying small steel and challenge yourself. The steel that most American matches have are very big and easy. This is why the American shooters struggle at IPSC matches. Don't make the same mistake as they did starting out.

Check your rule books, the legal steel is the exact same size in both IPSC and USPSA.

I'm just finishing up a swinger for myself. It's put together with 1" x 2"x 1/8" tubing and good needle bearing pillow block bearings. Doing my own fab and welding. All new materials with the total cost under $80.00. Lots you can do if you can build it yourself.:cheers:

Pat