Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 Slide To .45?

CZshooter

Let's say you had a slide sitting around in .40S&W and you want to build a .45. Can you just cut the breech a little bigger and that will work? Is the extractor hole the same size and the same distance from the edge of the slide? That's the only thing I can think of that would keep it from working. Or is it?

Don't have one in .45 to compare it to.

Not sure that's what I want to do even if it would work, just wondering.

Sorry if this has been covered. I tried to run a search for this info and didn't come up with anything.

It can be done but you need a long mill to reach down the barrel channel to get to the breechface. 45 typically uses a larger firing pin so that hole would have to be opened up. The extractor hole location shouldn't be an issue, just use a 45 extractor.

Might be cheaper just to buy a 45 slide.

Thanks TMC.

I have a brand new Les Baer slide in .40 cut for Bomar sights. Got a really good deal on it from a buddy.

Just bought a Colt 1991 in 9mm. It seems to be a great gun but it just isn't the same as a .45.

Was thinking maybe to get a frame and build this up into one.

"Might be cheaper just to buy a 45 slide. "

My local gunshop does have some pretty good deals on thier .45s though so I am torn on just selling this slide and getting a .45 already made up.

Why not a single stack .40? It seems to be the hot topic lately and if I were building a new single stack I'd go 40. 10 round mags are now readily available for .40 thanks to Virgil Tripp. Just a though. :D

• 2 months later...

CZ Shooter,

I am not sure, but I believe that the ramp area in a 9mm 1911 is different from that on the .45 I am not sure, but I would check it out. Not that it would make the project unworkable, but then you are looking at additional expense. Check with someone who knows for sure, or maybe I can find out easily.

Just something to consider.

Best, Jeffro (Jeff)

Why not a single stack .40? It seems to be the hot topic lately and if I were building a new single stack I'd go 40. 10 round mags are now readily available for .40 thanks to Virgil Tripp. Just a though. :D

And a good thought at that. .40 ammo is a lot cheaper than .45, you can get 12-round high cap mags legally for a single stack .40 (by buying CMC ten round .45 mags). And .40's are just fun to shoot.

• 2 weeks later...

Or you could build it into my favorite caliber, 10mm. I have 2 1911's in 10 and they are great guns with lots of possibilities like switching barrels and springs to make it a 40S&W and 357Sig. Wilson 45 mags will work with all three.

Just food for thought.

Jim