Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New XL650 owner question

I have been deliberating posting this but will do as the only stupid question is the one not asked… I have my new XL650 with case feeder dedicated for 9mm set up (Purchased from BE), loaded a few hundred rounds. No issues that I couldn't work out for the manual and tribal knowledge. I already did the mod to install the shell plate thrust bearing and clipped the detent ball spring 2/3 of a coil, works great. The shell plate and entire press itself runs nice and smooth.

I love the XL650, just what I needed to keep my time at the bench minimized with my 2K round count a month of 9mm.

OK , the only issue I have to date is the power drop slide. I'm using TiteGroup powder and I have been getting flakes of powder escaping from between the slide and the spacer above. I figured it is a wear in thing as neither the SBD's I have owned did this, but then again I bought those used and they were lapped in when I got them.

Any ideas is this normal?

I can't definitely help, as I've not had that problem, but I can offer a suggestion. Take the measure apart and look for anything that might be keeping the bottom of the bar from sitting tightly against the bottom of the inside of the measure. Maybe a burr or uneven casting. Check both for signs of wear (shiny spots) that would indicate high spots.

Boxer,

My original powder drop has a black bar and does not leak. All my latter drops are silver and all leak. I have a drop on every tool head and everyone does it, never stopped it even as they got older. My friend shimmed his with a piece of an index card under the powder bar and he claims it stopped. I am interested to see what responses you get here. I just live with it.

What color are the bars on the measure that doesn't leak? Just curios.

Boxer,

My original powder drop has a black bar and does not leak. All my latter drops are silver and all leak. I have a drop on every tool head and everyone does it, never stopped it even as they got older. My friend shimmed his with a piece of an index card under the powder bar and he claims it stopped. I am interested to see what responses you get here. I just live with it.

What color are the bars on the measure that doesn't leak? Just curios.

Hey n2extrm, I would have posted this over at the other forum. Just seemd more appropriate here as they all seems more informed regarding Dillon equipment.

The new drop on the XL650 is silver and so are the ones on my SDB but more of a smoother machined surface. Shimming it will be my only solution unless anyone else has a better resolution. Next time I get around to it I'll clean it really well, check for wear pattern and measure the gap with feeler gauges. Personally, I think it's out of tolerance, but we will see.

Mine does the same thing. I just live with the small amount of leakage. I don't think it is a matter of wearing in with time and getting better. I've got over 50000 rounds through mine and it is still doing it. It hasn't gotten worse, but it has not got better with use.

eta: I am loading with Tite Group.

Edited by sirveyr

Just a little follow-up to my problem, looks like I fixed it. I had the powder drop slide apart to install the Uniquetek micrometer dial and while I was at it measured the thickness of each as Dillon had suggested, found them to be within the specs as he quoted.

I then took the two mating surfaces over a surface plate of stainless steel I had in the toolbox and lightly honed them in a figure eight motion over 800 grit wet/dry aluminum oxide paper lubricated with water, witnessed to have just two or three small high spots, cleaned with alcohol and reassembled. Ran 300 rounds, problem appears to be solved. :D

Edited by Boxerglocker

My 650 leaks Tite Group also. I've loaded almost 8000 rounds in the last year and it's getting close to completely covering the top of the toolhead. I know, I need to clean it up in case of a detonation. Thanks for posting the fix. I'll try it.

Yes, I get a very small amount of leakage with Titegroup, but it's not very much.

I've learned every once in a while (300 rounds?) to gently blow it off.

Maybe in 20 years I'll have a whole new can of Titegroup on the floor!