Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Analyze This...

Ron Ankeny

I am not sure where this belongs so I'll put it here. I had an odd experience during my dry fire practice just minutes ago that I thought I would share.

Just like the rest of you, I practice my reloads. I have a target on the wall and I do the same old reducing par time reloads that I have been doing for three years. I hit a plateau a year ago with little or no improvement since then. When I get the dot (open gun) back on the target and confirm alignment visually, my dry fire reload equates almost exactly to a reliable hit on an eight inch plate at 10 yards in live fire.

OK, here's the deal, I can reload and get back on target reliably in 1.4 seconds. I have been happy in live fire with a 1.4 reload to a plate. Sure, I can hit a reload faster on hoser targets or if I want to accept an inferior sight picture. Anyhow, I usually do a couple of reloads without the timer then I start my reload practice with the timer at 1.4 seconds. Then I go to 1.3 seconds, then to 1.2 where things turn to crap. I can hit the 1.2 but the dot isn't always where it belongs when the hammer falls, lol. At 1.1 the magazines fly all over the room.

This morning I started the timer at 1.4 and it buzzed before I get the load complete. I think, "What the heck (I cleaned that up), 1.4 is easy. Better pay attention." Second load goes in easy. I hit a few more, dot comes back on target, click of the hammer, timer goes buzz. I am making the time without feeling rushed, but something isn't right. I imagine you are way ahead of me. You guessed it, the freaking timer was set at 1.2 seconds. Oh for crying out loud. The wall I hit a year ago has just been torn down by a mistake. I do a bunch of reloads at 1.2...this is easy. I then set the timer at 1.1 seconds and make about half of them. Ain't that a forehead slapper?

"If you think 5 seconds is fast, you will never be faster than that"

Isn't that (or something like that), what Rob Leatham says in the foreword of Brian's book. That little sentence grasped me the first time I read it.

Very cool story Ron.

Some points:

1. Speed-shooting isn't mostly about technique it is also about mindset.

2. Always expect more of yourself to avoid ruts, change is the only constant..now that you are at 1.1 aim for 1.0 etc.

3. It is better to cut down your training frequency than your training intensity!!