Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Tri-glide

sgoddard

I just installed a new tri-glide trigger in my Springfield .45 and I have a few questions after reading some of the past posts about bending the leaf spring. I basically bent the new spring to match the original spring as close as I could. I have not tried it on the range yet but spent the weekend dry firing and everything seems to be working fine (big difference by the way) Just curious as to some pointers I should watch out for and things I should check. I also dropped the main spring down to 17lb and put a 14lb recoil spring in.

14# recoil spring is a good start. If you want to experiment some more, a lot of guys are using the ISMI 12.5# spring. The ISMI spring works great and lasts longer than a conventional spring. Depending on your primers, the 17# mainspring should work fine. If you start getting light hits than go back to a 19#. I don't own a digital trigger pull guage, so I havn't messed with the leaf spring.

sgoddard,

Be careful to function test the gun with only one or two in the mag before loading it up. The Tri-Glide spring is titanium and has a different "rate" than the original steel spring. You will not necessarily end up with the same "shape" as the original spring. The best way to adjust them is to "feel" how much pressure is being applied to the sear and the disconnector, individually, and then balance them accordingly. If you are too light on either you could have a full-auto or just an unreliable gun.

Leo

While I never recomend someone do there own trigger jobs, it is fairly easy if you buy the right tools. dont mess with the sear or hammer cuts without a jig.

A digital trigger pull guage is needed to set spring tensions, dont try to do it by feel or look as the titanium spring has a differant rate and you need to have proper tension on both leafs.

Brownells has a good article on setting up your leaf spring and the rates for the return and sear.

I love the tri-glide system for a competition gun, but I can't adjust them above 3.5 lb. though so they are not a good setup for anything but pure competition.

By the way if you get doubleing with a triglide its not the spring its your sear & hammer engagement.

On singlestacks watch how much the frame holder bend engages your frame, I have had a few hang into the magwell, some slight trimming will cure this.