Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can't see your front sight?

John Kane

First a couple of caveats. I heard about this on a radio show and have no affiliation with this company or product. Second, I don't need glasses yet so I haven't tried this personally. But I get a lot of questions on this and have seen the topic come up here before so I thought others would find this interesting if not beneficial.

The concept is you put a small reading lens on the TOP of your shooting glasses, not the bottom. So when you lower your head you can see the front sight.

Here's a picture of the lens on the bottom but it attaches with a drop of water so you can put it wherever you want and apply it to any glasses.

post-6819-095498600 1285781198_thumb.jpg

And a link for those interested. The company is Optx. http://optx2020.com/c-1-hydrotac-stick-on-lenses.aspx

I did search for Optx and nothing came up so if this has been covered previously my humblest apologies. My search-Fu sucks and I'm just a lurker that thought others could benefit from this as I thought it sounded cool.

Thanks!

John

There are several brands, have been around quite a while, and get very mixed reviews depending on use. It really depends on the quality of the product. I tried a pair (not sure on the manufacturer) on some sunglasses several years ago and ended up giving them away - they just didn't work for me.

You have to get them in the right place on the lens or they don't work well and can cause some eye strain. They are cheap enough that they might be worth a try but I wouldn't bet the farm on them.

P.S. They stick by surface tension so the curvature of the lens can be an issue and they will fall off if they don't have a good seal.

I bought these at the local drug store. They had samples that you could hold up to your eyes to help determine what "power" you need. I trimmed them and stuck them in with my stuff...and there they've sat for a couple of years now. The concept was good but did not help me. My optometrist said they make bifocals that have the reading part on the top of the lens' for workers that do stuff overhead like drywall hangers or mechanics...

By the way, I only tried it on my dominant eye...

Edited by kamikaze1a