Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's The Differance Between Svi And Sti

yeahyeah

<_< I am looking at buying two limited guns either STI Edge or SVI, since I live in California the Edge looks like a moot point, since the Edge isn't sold in Cali anymore. But anyway, the guns seem similar why is there such a price differance, Is the SVI that much of a better gun or are they just getting all the money for them? There must be a reason or SVI couldn't stay in business, or could it. Please just the facts not personal opinion. Is one better then the other, if so why?

Thank You, Adam

Adam,

This topic has been beaten to death, several times, but I will repeat a few things posted and copy an informative post from another thread.

The prices between comparable STI and SV guns are not that different. The big differences come in when you compare a loaded SV and compare it to a base STI. In the last discussion there was a minimal difference in price for similarly equipped guns but SV guns are often equipped with additional (extra cost) features.

from 1911 forums, the svi frame is an overkill but i love overkills thus i bought one:

here's the post,

STI single stacks are built from castings - not precisely machined from barstock as SVIs are.

STI uses cast thumb safeties and Chinese knockoffs of the Bo-Mar sights in all its pistols. SVI machines its own patented safety and uses REAL Bo-Mar, MMC, and Heinie sights.

SVI buys nothing from Smith and Wesson. In fact, S&W has in the past bought standard production parts from SVI and asked SVI

to manufacture others.

What does it mean to have a pistol frame and slide manufactured from aircraft quality 4340 steel, heat-treated to Rc 42? It means no one else in the marketplace comes close to the hardness and toughness of the material SVI puts into every pistol - standard.

Les Baer frames are Rc 15.

STI hicap frames are Rc 28.

Harder and tougher materials equal longer life and thus greater value.

The SV coated Schuemann AET barrel will shoot sub 1" groups at 50 yards - nearly forever. The rifling will virtually never wear so the accuracy will never deteriorate.

Result? The SVI owner receives greater value.

Premium trigger components from the use of better designs and materials offer trigger jobs that also have an indefinite life. The SVI owner again receives greater value.

Of course, there are those who consider those qualitative achievements and superior standards "fluff." I suppose they need to rationalize their purchases.....

:D L9X25 Thanks for the information, I just put in an order for two SVI .40's, glad to here that my money was well spent. I hope that some day I can shoot a sub 1" group at 50yds. that would be a feat, that I'll look forward too.

Thanks!!

Man, Adam. You and Jesse are really going to town! That's a Production/IDPA gun, two Limited pistols and a 650 already, and you two have barely shot two matches at Richmond in the couple months since you first came out.

Ya buying an Open blaster too (or two)? :D

Kevin

Adam,

As far as I am concerned, the only "downside" to buying an SV gun (or two or three) is that there is usually some waiting involved. But, if you are getting exactly what you want, the wait is certainly worthwhile.

Leo

L9X25, Thanks! I've been wondering about the coating since I built the gun. Outstanding accuracy with the AET barrels and very little fitting required. As I remember, the width and length of hood was only off by 0.010" per side. The chamber was perfect. All surfaces of the barrel looked like a mirror. Amazing finish through out.

Paul

Friends,

The beautiful bronze color of the Schuemann barrels as fitted in complete Infinity Firearms pistols is a proprietary process that they have developed, and it is not for sale as a loose, barrel only part. You can read about this exclusive feature directly on the Infinity web site: http://www.sviguns.com/aet/aet.html

I believe that the info offered on Wil's site reflects the barrel sales he makes directly to the public, and is not meant to cover how Infinity later hot-rods them.

Sandy still offers this feature, and it is much more than a simple plating job or PVD coating on the outside of a barrel.

I've always thought that the bronze-colored barrels look great, and it is fun spotting them at major matches.

Thanks Leo for responding.

Regards,

Mark Agerholm

Team Infinity

I went thru the debate about SVI vs. STI. In fact I actually started the topic a few months ago. All I will say is that my SV Limited gun is handsdown the most accurate, easy to shoot, reliable, best looking firearm I've ever shot. People always comment on the gun and ask what it is. Shooting it always brings a smile to my face. I can't imagine ever going to another brand of firearm after shooting this gun. Plus, you have it custom built to EXACTLY how you want it and it is fitted and tested before you get it. When you get the gun after it is built you don't have to change anything. This can't be said for other brands. Plus, with the SV trigger inserts you can easily change trigger styles if you want to see which works best for you without having to refit or readjust anything. Talk about a great feature. I did however change one part of my gun and that is the sight. I switched to a larger F.O. because I originally had it built with the smaller one. I just prefer the larger front sight. Other than that this gun rules.

Good luck with your new purchases. I can guarantee you will absolutely love them.

Pete

Mark Agerholm,

I talked to Wil directly about this. Schuemann was out sourcing this feature but, could not get the desired thickness and adhesion as once thought. Maybe Sandy is having this done. I'll contact him and let you know. Funny how SVI says it is an Infinity Exclusive though, since Wil said the finish never worked out. I completely understand what Titanium nitride is and how it is done. Just would like a source who wouldn't charge $100 for a barrel!

Paul.

I believe Richter Precision of Pennsylvania does (or was doing) the barrels and SV's "Infinicoat" finish. They won't take items directly from consumers as far as I know though.

I have seen a few barrels Ti-Nitrided by Brycoat that have held up well. I think they charge around $50 and it's pretty much just the outside of the barrel.

Bryant

Thanks for the information. I emailed SVI but, no response yet. Also, did a little research on having this coating applied to the barrel and at this time I'm concerned. These types of coatings need to be applied between 650 and 850 degrees F. At these temperatures, the steel of the barrels may start to soften and change. I don't know what the AET barrels are made from but, 17-4 and custom 465, which I'm very familiar with, would possibly start to aneal! I've got to look into this further.

Best regards,

Paul

Paul, I found this on Schuemann's website: http://www.schuemann.com/

Our 416 Stainless bar is produced by Carpenter Steel and is called Type 416R Stainless, where the R designates Rifle Barrel Quality. The sulphur content in the barrels we use to make pistol barrels is 0.13%, which is below the minimum sulphur specification for 416 stainless. Our steel is specifically tested to ensure the desired physical characteristics are present. The steel undergoes dye penetrant, ultrasonic, and electromagnetic eddy current testing before leaving the mill to be sure there are no voids or other mechanical problems in our steel bars. This ensures our barrels are made from the very best 416 Stainless steel obtainable.

BTW, Does all of that make my barrel any better???

Thanks for the info. At one time I thought the AET was from even a different material, don't remember why I thought that. I'll have to ask our Metalurgist about heating the barrel up that high. Thanks again.

Does it make it any better? I don't know but, sure builds my confidence in myself and the gun shoots incredible.

Paul