Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Racker

buckaroo45

Got a new to me Open Glock. The slide racker comes off at inappropriate times. It has no set screw or other such device. What's the trick to keep it in place?

Ah that I were young enough to have focus now that I see the use of it. - Me

Not to sure the exacts about whats going on, but in my experience with anything mechanical is if doesn't work, modify it or replace it so it does. If it is possible to use some type of adhesive to assist keeping the component attached such as loc-tite on a screw or silver soldering, then maybe that is whats necessary. However if its just some flashing that is not very well engineered for the purpose its sold for find another product of similar function.

I understand about set screws. This piece is an SSI Sidewinder. The curiosity is why it didn't have a set screw to begin with. These things need to be firmly attached somehow. Led me to believe there was some method that didn't require a machinist. Evidently not. Thx for the replies.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Morons by the millions think if we just play nice, every one else will too, despite the massive, overwhelming, daily, incontestable evidence to the contrary.

Is there a small dimple depression in the slide dovetail that holds the slide racker? If so, you need the sidewinder slide racker version that has the spring loaded ball detent. Two of my Open guns have this arrangement while another had the set screw.

Nope. Only a smooth, flat dovetail where the rear sight usually mounts and only flat surfaces on the sidewinder.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"I have the Power thing down, it's the Speed and Accuracy that give me problems"

It's a model 17. The sidewinder is actually a 1911 model modified to fit the 17's rear dovetail. Works and fits well. just doesn't stay put.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

"I have the Power thing down, it's the Speed and Accuracy that give me problems"

I see the better reviews are on the ball detent. Question is how / who / how much or is this as simple as a dab of Gorilla glue? I don't know why I'd need to take it off on a regular basis and I'm guessing a heat gun would remove it without damaging anything ..... or am I just thinking like the country boy I am?

_____________________________________________________________________________________

What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving