Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The price of dies

KentG

I have been pricing and reading recomendations for 223 dies. Seems almost unanimous that the Redding seating die is the no brainer choice. After that its pretty open. I have to call Dillon to see if they will sell the crimp and fulllength die only but Im not sure. Anyway by the time I buy the Redding seating die from Midway/Sinclair/Dillon its pretty much as easy to buy the full National Match set compared to buying individual dies.

I cant seem to find how well the Redding size die is liked when used on a JP barrel. I know Dillon gets props but I want the full length die that sizes the best for the JP Wylde chamber. Maybe Im sweating the small stuff here, but Id rather ask and spend money once. AND yes I plan on getting a JP case gauge.

The sizing die wont matter as much for the inital setup cause I am going with Scharch to start but plan on doing it all after the first K or so. But I kind of think Im money ahead by getting the sizing die as a set from Redding.

I know its been hashed to death but I cant seem to decide. Hate that.

BTW I did email JP and ask if they had a preference on dies and got no reply.

Edited by tnek

• 4 weeks later...

I got tired of going back and forth and just bought the Redding set. It may be a little more but its done. Now I need to catch a decent Ebay price on a Redding BR30 and rest of the conversion stuff from Dillon for my 650 AFTER I recover from the money I had to spend this week on a backup Saiga since mine cracked the carrier a week before the last match of the season for me.

I have been pricing and reading recomendations for 223 dies. Seems almost unanimous that the Redding seating die is the no brainer choice. After that its pretty open. I have to call Dillon to see if they will sell the crimp and fulllength die only but Im not sure. Anyway by the time I buy the Redding seating die from Midway/Sinclair/Dillon its pretty much as easy to buy the full National Match set compared to buying individual dies.

I cant seem to find how well the Redding size die is liked when used on a JP barrel. I know Dillon gets props but I want the full length die that sizes the best for the JP Wylde chamber. Maybe Im sweating the small stuff here, but Id rather ask and spend money once. AND yes I plan on getting a JP case gauge.

The sizing die wont matter as much for the inital setup cause I am going with Scharch to start but plan on doing it all after the first K or so. But I kind of think Im money ahead by getting the sizing die as a set from Redding.

I know its been hashed to death but I cant seem to decide. Hate that.

BTW I did email JP and ask if they had a preference on dies and got no reply.

The forester micrometer seating die is a little cheaper and in reality just as good or maybe better.

The Redding F/L S bushing size die is perfect for your set up.

You will only wonder if you should have gotten that if you get something else.(in that case you buy 2 dies)