Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load recommendations please

BCrane

So I just picked up a new (to me) shorty built by Ed Cameron. This thing is awesome, but the previous owner doesnt rememver the load.. only that it was VV. I have N350, N105, and just bouhgt a pound of 3n38 because I *think* its what most people are using in these types of setups. I only have 124 MG JHP's on hand

(.38 super)

Schueman bbl, 2 bbl ports, plus maybe a 3rd in the comp..?

Bad pics.. but I'll post some glamour shots in the gallery later.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Edited by BCrane

Well I'll agree it looks awesome. N350 will make major at 7.8gr but with all those holes start with 8.2gr. Do a search and you will find lots of loads for N105 and G-Man Bart is a worshiper of this powder but 10gr will be a start and I'm betting its going to be way better than N350. But everyones perceptions vary and each gun is slightly different. 3N38 is inbetween the other two in producing gas, in my opinion,and scarce as chicken lips in this part of the country.

It does look sweet I keep a shorty topend for a backup, it sure drives nice but the road is a little bumpy.

So I'm assuming it's 38 Super or Supercomp, with MG 124gr JHPs I like using 10.1gr 3N38 at 1.235". It shoots accurately and softer out my Schuemann HybriComp 4-port barrel and 5-port comp gun. Might shoot differently on yours as you have a 3-port barrel and 7-port comp. I would suggest starting at 9.2gr if using 3N38.

Thanks guys. Ive been running 10.0gr 3n38.. need to get it chrono'd but it feels right. I need to look elsewhere though I think, as the fireball is rather large, and washes out the dot. I have N105, 350, and 7625 on hand.. hopefully one of those fits the bill w/o the fireball. There was a stage tonight that was setup where you HAD to shoot through a barrel (fault line).. thought I lost some teeth, and the hair on my face and hands.. :blush:

Thanks guys. Ive been running 10.0gr 3n38.. need to get it chrono'd but it feels right. I need to look elsewhere though I think, as the fireball is rather large, and washes out the dot. I have N105, 350, and 7625 on hand.. hopefully one of those fits the bill w/o the fireball. There was a stage tonight that was setup where you HAD to shoot through a barrel (fault line).. thought I lost some teeth, and the hair on my face and hands.. :blush:

Try about 10.5 of VV N105....Yes it will almost fill the case, but it's safe...And you can actually get more in it if needed.

For Supercomp, with 124/125s, I usually suggest 9.5gr of 3N38 and 10.0gr of N105 as a starting point. You can start higher than that and still be safe, but some folks like to be extra conservative. VV lists a load with 11.0gr of N105 with a 124 (or 125, can't recall), in .38 Super Lapua brass, which is like .38SC or .38TJ in capacity...that tells me we've got some margin for error. R,

I run 8.2gr of N350, 124gr MG JHP@ 1.245" for a PF of 172 out of my 5" Bedell 38SC.... It's all Bedell reccomended at the time although I've asked about replacement powders as VV cannot be found local to me and is pretty expensive. Luckily I found 12# to hold me for awhile.

Thanks for the replies guys.. I think I found my powder (for now..... LOL). Took out 50 rounds each worked up of 3n38, n350, n105 and IMR 4756.. All chrono'd at 174~175 PF, which I'll work down to 171~172

Out of all of them, the 3n38 was the most harsh (biggest concussion, loudest, most erratic dot movement), which was a little weird since I have always thought it was made for guns with IMM holes.. perhaps for guns with MORE holes than mine..

Ive come to find out that I like my open gun recoil impulse to be on the sharp/flat side vs soft/big.. I'm a big boy, and I when I pull the trigger, I want it over and done with. N105 was by far the sharpest/quickest of the bunch, and it still lacked the concussion of the 3n38.

My favorite through this gun so far, has been the IMR 4756. A touch 'softer' than the N105, but it felt like it had better dot tracking than the vit powders.. and my followup shots were quicker and more accurate with it as well. Im also happy that comparred to VV, its dirt cheap.. Im aware of the lot to lot variations though, so I'll grab it in 8lb jugs. I need to do some testing with it at night, and see if produces the large fireball that the 3n38 put out.. I REALLY hope not.

Above ALL.. I need to focus on better hits, less mistakes, and getting faster... but Im glad I was able to nail down the 'feel' I was looking for in the new gun.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Edited by BCrane

Why bring it down in PF ? If it runs and tracks well at 174-175PF leave it. That extra cushion may come in handy one day at the chrono of a major match.

Im sure G-Man will be back through to echo this. :cheers:

Why bring it down in PF ? If it runs and tracks well at 174-175PF leave it. That extra cushion may come in handy one day at the chrono of a major match.

Im sure G-Man will be back through to echo this. :cheers:

I was thinking about that after I posted. Dont know what a few points drop in PF would do to the gun, but I think im a little concerned with beating the gun up.. :blush: