Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

moonclip life span

No.343

I bought my 625 about 1.5 years ago and bought 100 of the Ranch Products moonclips. The moonclips have served me well in matches. Here lately it seemed that I could not hit a reload while dry firing. I was a little frustrated. Finally, I figured they must be bent or something, so I took the dummy rounds off and put them on different moonclips. All of the sudden I can reload a revolver again! I took the used moonclips and set them on the kitchen counter to see if they are bent, but they are as straight as the kitchen counter. So, what happened to the dry fire moonclips? They had the same rounds in them for over a year. I never had any need to take them off.

With 100 clips you're in luck.

I've found that they bend or can get bent.

Stack then up nice and neatly in a pile of 20-30. Look for bent ones. They should stick right out.

Pull them out and set aside.

Also cut this pile in the middle so that the end clips are in the middle and can be checked.

I bet you a nickle you fins some even slightly bent.

It's not worth straightening them just give them to your not-so-friends and let them wrestle with the problem.

(Like bubber below)

I've also seem brass get out of round but probably not the case here.

George

Edited by GMM50

I bought my 625 about 1.5 years ago and bought 100 of the Ranch Products moonclips. The moonclips have served me well in matches. Here lately it seemed that I could not hit a reload while dry firing. I was a little frustrated. Finally, I figured they must be bent or something, so I took the dummy rounds off and put them on different moonclips. All of the sudden I can reload a revolver again! I took the used moonclips and set them on the kitchen counter to see if they are bent, but they are as straight as the kitchen counter. So, what happened to the dry fire moonclips? They had the same rounds in them for over a year. I never had any need to take them off.

343 those have just cured and should work great for the match this weekend... :devil: later rdd

I'd almost bet it's not the moonclips.

When Moonclips get bent they drag the cylinder.

What you describe is probably due to the softer brass case wearing at the extractor groove and loosening up on the moonclip.

The only time I throw any out is when they hamper cylinder rotation.

I have a whole pile of mixed .45 moonclips that I began accumulating when I bought my first 25-2 back in 1987. I have no doubt most of my original supply of moonclips is still included in that mix. I've bent a few, but I'm not aware that I've ever worn one out! :D