Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Solo issues

goosedowner

After reading a bunch of good things here about Solo 1000 I bought a 8lb keg and started to work up some 9mm 160gr and 147gr loads. My problem with this powder is the inconsistency that I'm getting with the chrono numbers. It seems like 2 out of every 10 loads are 200 fps lower then the others.

Can anyone help me out with my problem??? I'm loading with a Dillon 550.

Thanks

Lee

While Solo 1K doesn't meter very well out of any normal measure, it doesn't seem to hurt it in the ES or SD category, for some reason. That much difference definitely sounds like being too close to the chrono and having ejecta ahead of the bullet tripping the first sensor early. Go back to at least 10ft and see what happens (I actually use 15ft for everything). R,

While Solo 1K doesn't meter very well out of any normal measure, it doesn't seem to hurt it in the ES or SD category, for some reason. That much difference definitely sounds like being too close to the chrono and having ejecta ahead of the bullet tripping the first sensor early. Go back to at least 10ft and see what happens (I actually use 15ft for everything). R,

Really? Mine meters perfect in my Dillon Measure. I always settle the powder really good at the start and start with a full hopper. After it settles I don't remove the powder. I think that helps as it's always settled and meters great. I added a Unique Tech Powder baffle. Now I don't have to worry about the full hopper trick to get it settled. I also polished the inside of the hopper. It made zero difference really because it was already metering very well.

Yeah, does sound like a distance-to-chrono issue. If there was truly 200 fps difference, you would be able to tell a difference, did it feel that much lighter? Another idea is sometimes if you index the star on the 550 too hard, you can actually cause some powders to spell/jump out of the case. Is that a possibility? Let us know...

I'm back 10 feet from the Chrono and the shells that read low usually didn't eject from the gun or just barely did.

With all respect.... Are you experienced with the 550?

I would suspect it is not the Solo causing the problem..... Something mechanical or an obstruction in the powder hopper or an error on your part.

When I start banging them out when loading with Solo A lot of powder can get slung out the case......Are you rotating the shell plate smoothly? Just a thought.

I'm back 10 feet from the Chrono and the shells that read low usually didn't eject from the gun or just barely did.

What PF are you getting with these loads? How are you verifying your powder drops in the 550?

I have found that S1000 is very consistent if my load is around 120PF or above. I also have no problems with consistent drops on a stock 550. My biggest issue with S1000 is the lot to lot variations and the volume required to push a 124gr bullet to 130PF with my latest lot.

Post up your data and let's have a look.

+1 on 2 previous comments.

The last time I changed my drop charge using Solo 1000 I really had to let the powder settle before my weights were consistent.

Solo 1000 can fill cases and it's easy to spill, work smoothly.

My experience is that the extreme spread and std dev for Solo 1000 are usually very low. The worst I've ever gotten was a spread of 52FPS SD=18 with 3.5gr under a 147gr 9mm@1.125

I've always had good consistency in powder metering and velocities. Is it possible that you are using cases from different manufacturers?

I'm on my 3ed 8 pounder. I use Solo 1000 for 38 spl. 9mm, 40 s&w,and 45 acp.

I've had my 550 for about 8 or 9 years (the entire 9mm set up in brand new)and yes I try to rotate the shell plate smoothly but I may just try setting a bullet on top next time I load. I'm using mixed brass, Winchester primers, BBI 147gr bullets and 3.4grs of Solo out of a full powder tube and I was getting readings around 789 except for the 500 ones. If the lot number is the # on a sticker on the bottom of the jug then it is 1930 and the jug was filled on 11/23/09.

I guess I won't give up on the Solo yet, I'll see if I can work through this issue.

Thanks Guys

Lee

Station 2 on a 550?? Why? Should be 1 - Sizing/de-priming, 2 - powder drop/case bell, 3 - seating, 4 - crimp

Can you tell us exactly how you have it set up and what dies you are using??

Dies don't matter. Process matters.

Once you have a full shellplate.

Seat bullet in station 2

Indexing while grabbing new case

Grab bullet while pulling handle.

Nearly always multi tasking.

Under 10 mins for 100 is easy once you get the hang of it. You need a decent amount of bell. I use .015 otherwise the bullets can fall over to easy.

I polished the inside of the powder funnel with Simicrome and a wad of Q Tips, seemed to help bridging in the powder measure. I'm loading on a 550 also.

The last two jugs I purchased lot #1930, 2-02-10 took a little larger charge than the previous jug to reach the same PF.

Solo is a light flake powder and spills on the shell plate if your not really smooth. The lot I'm using now fill's the case when loading 124gn bullets. I have one of the $30 Frankford Arsenal scales beside the press and check the weight every so often. I'll set the charge with a Dillon beam and use the little scale as a check.

Using 4.2 with 147gn bullets and 4.6 with 124gn bullets, OAL 1.135 to 1.140.

Minor nine with the heavier bullets, works Great. Accurate, low recoil, worth the extra effort.

Might check your charge weights often to see if your powder funnel's sticking or bridging.

See if you can borrow a friend's chronograph to double check.

I'll try and teach an old dog new tricks by placing the bullet at station 2, thanks for the tip.

Station 2 on a 550?? Why? Should be 1 - Sizing/de-priming, 2 - powder drop/case bell, 3 - seating, 4 - crimp

Can you tell us exactly how you have it set up and what dies you are using??

Dies don't matter. Process matters.

Once you have a full shellplate.

Seat bullet in station 2

Indexing while grabbing new case

Grab bullet while pulling handle.

Nearly always multi tasking.

Under 10 mins for 100 is easy once you get the hang of it. You need a decent amount of bell. I use .015 otherwise the bullets can fall over to easy.

I was being facetious about the dies...not being literal, okay.