Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&w Bullet Weights For Limited Shooting

Truegent2004

Heres the deal.......I shoot my Glock 35 in USPSA. I like VV 3N37 as my powder(I know its different but what can I say I like it). I've always loaded 165 gr. JHP (Montana Gold). Some tell me that 180 gr bullets are better because of the slower slide action for heavier bullets spreads the recoil effect. Others just say go with what I like, its just a matter of preferance. So why dont any of the GM's use anything lighter than 180 if its just a matter of preferance?

Secondly, I'm buying an STI EDGE style gun soon. Will the recoil effect of 180 versus 165 seem to be different from the Glock? I just dont want to be at a competitive disadvantage, and I'm out of bullets and need to order a few more cases from MG, so I wont to be sure.

I think if you do a search, you'll find a Titanic amount of info.

The long and short of it: in my experience with both 165's and 180's at the same PF, 165's have a shorter recoil arc and faster slide action. I love the way 165's cycle and "feel" in my ldc SV limited gun. 180's are just a bit slower and give a very predicatble and somewhat easier to follow recoil arc. I shoot 180's now (Star, specifically) because they are the most accurate out of my gun. Please keep in mind that this is talking about rounds loaded with Titegroup which is on the other end of the spectrum (powder burn rate) compared to 3N37.

Is there an advantage; one over the other? I don't think so. Order a case of each. You can safely make Major PF with both and some long term testing with each might truely answer your question. And if you're gun really likes on over the other, sell what you don't use to another local shooter. Just my $0.02.

I've tried the 155's, 160's, 180's and now 200's using N320 all at about 174-178 PF. One thing I've noticed is that the 200's really gives a sluggish slide action. However, I also noticed I can also track the sights better with it and doesn't seem to give off too much blast. For me this may be a good thing and I'll be using this load for the time being. YMMV though and it's best to find out for yourself. Good luck. ;)

My Glock 35 really likes the 165's JHP with 5.3 gr. Universal Clays. Snappy quick load that gets you moving. On the other hand the single stack 1911 in 40 likes the 180's. You can never have too many bullets.

The man who took 2nd at the nationals (by only one single round I might add) used 200s. He was bested by only one man, the great one. He shot an STI Edge style gun, btw. Why ask why? did ANY STI/SV shooter use a 165??? Again, the search function would have yielded all the info on this.

The 165's seem lighter, but the slide seems to move faster and harder than the same PF and 180's. My friend who swapped loads with says the opposite. Go figure?? Try both and then compare to the same PF in 200g. Your own shooting preferences will find one a lot better than the other two loads.

I went thru a phase where I liked 155gr in 40, better than 180gr bullets. As long as I was behind the gun, in a solid stance, everything went smooth.

Then I began to practice wierd body positions, after a couple stages with ports and foot faults kicked my butt. The softer/heavier bullet loads really shine there. Less powder, less slap in the hand, and a lot less upset of your stance. Especially an unsteady stance that's been mandated by some course designer.

Try it. YMMV.

I used VV 3N37 before , now i use VV 330 .

330 gives less muzzleflip in my Para than 3N37 does ,and a more comfortable recoil.

You will probably feel some difference in recoil between the Glock and the STI EDGE . Because of the light weight of the Glock ,you will probably get less muzzleflip with the STI EDGE.

Are you using 180s with 330s. Have 4 pds haging in the house. Currently using 320s but i am running real low. The gunstore I usually buy it from is having a hard time with the distributor.

The man who took 2nd at the nationals (by only one single round I might add) used 200s. He was bested by only one man, the great one. He shot an STI Edge style gun, btw. Why ask why? did ANY STI/SV shooter use a 165??? Again, the search function would have yielded all the info on this.

Do you know what powder Phil Strader was using???? A A or V V????

It appears that "smaller" bullets ALWAYS feel like they are producing a snappier slide... this is not based on scientific fact, but personal observations :) But it applys to almost all discussions I've heard/seen/read.

So it's really up to you and how YOU LIKE your recoil to feel! The 180's are the current popular choice for ST/SV guns. Can't answer about Glocks though.

My suggestion would be to you, when you buy the ST/SV buy the 180's to try. Keep the 165's going in your glock since YOU LIKE IT and the gun works!

I used VV 3N37 before , now i use VV 330 .

330 gives less muzzleflip in my Para than 3N37 does ,and a more comfortable recoil.

You will probably feel some difference in recoil between the Glock and the STI EDGE . Because of the light weight of the Glock ,you will probably get less muzzleflip with the STI EDGE.

Are you using 180s with 330s. Have 4 pds haging in the house. Currently using 320s but i am running real low. The gunstore I usually buy it from is having a hard time with the distributor.

Yes , i use 180gr Partizan bullets.

Bulm5-

QUOTE (copied from one of Phil's earlier posts.

)

My load is currently 4.5gr of AA#2 with a 200gr WCB. I'm working on a load using VVN310 or VVN330.

Added with edit ---can someone please PM me with the right way to qoute...I am way to incompetant on the computer to figure it out.

Edited by Flexmoney

I can tell you he decided NOT to use N310 for Major .40 and having used N310 personally, I strongly suggest not trying to make major in .40 with N310 (however,.45 is another story altogether & major .45 N310 loads are published by VV). I do not believe Phil is still sponsored by AA so I would guese he is using N330 & West Coast Bullets 200 grn Rounded Flat Point.