Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Switching guns between matches/sports

lugnut

I have a slight dilemma. I just started shooting my revolver in IDPA... I did my 1st match this year with the 686 as I've shot my G34 in USPSA and IDPA almost exclusively. I really want to keep shooting the 686 in IDPA as I think it's teaching me some cool stuff. However... I have no interest in torturing myself by shooting 32 round field courses with revolver... especially since I'm using my 686 with speed loaders. Yeah I could stick with the 686 for both but I'm thinking of doing USPSA with my G34 still- maybe even dabbling in Limited for a bit. I know the pros switch back and forth quite seemlessly but I'm not a pro! And the G34 and 686 probably couldn't be more different but I love shooting both. Thoughts?

I have a slight dilemma. I just started shooting my revolver in IDPA... I did my 1st match this year with the 686 as I've shot my G34 in USPSA and IDPA almost exclusively. I really want to keep shooting the 686 in IDPA as I think it's teaching me some cool stuff. However... I have no interest in torturing myself by shooting 32 round field courses with revolver... especially since I'm using my 686 with speed loaders. Yeah I could stick with the 686 for both but I'm thinking of doing USPSA with my G34 still- maybe even dabbling in Limited for a bit. I know the pros switch back and forth quite seemlessly but I'm not a pro! And the G34 and 686 probably couldn't be more different but I love shooting both. Thoughts?

I switch back and forth between Open, Limited, and Production. Decidedly not as different as a Revolver. I' m no pro either. Looking back on the year I switched to Limited, shot the TX St Limited had my best major match finish to date, went back to open, then shot a classifier match limited 10 and made B. So I buy a Shadow, and shot my second ever match with production and Won production division and beat even all but the A class limiteds. So as you can see switching for me has just been devastating. It just kills me to be an open shooter and hold a higher classification in of all things Limited 10. I say shoot what is fun for you.

At a steel match I won't shoot with the Revolver guys and gals, its too humbling, they are darn good!

I'm a five division IDPA and 4 Division USPSA shooter.

Some guys claim it's no problem... but I see a dramatic drop off in my shooting when switching back and forth. Jumping from my 625 to a 1911 is like starting damn near over (at least for me)

As of 2 years ago... I pick a gun/division in February and stick with it for the season. It's increased my consistancy for sure.

So I buy a Shadow, and shot my second ever match with production and Won production division and beat even all but the A class limiteds.

If it was the 8/28 match, there weren't any A (or B ) Limited shooters. ;):P

Edited by G-ManBart

Of course all things are relative to ones experience and skill level.

But I've read where even the pro's will stick with one gun for a month before a big match.

And I'd guess they put a few thousand rounds downrange in that time.

For local bragging rights it's just what works for you.

I actually find it easier to switch from Auto to Revolver than the reverse.

But most don't seem to, but then Revo tends to intimidate a lot of competitiors.

If you can remember the round count difference, shoot the glock in practice and switch to what you want to on match day.

Of course you still have to shoot the Revo enough to know it's tendencies.

As for USPSA with a Revo, come to Memphis Nov. 6, they will recognize a Speedloader Category, and it's a blast.

Seriously shooting USPSA with a Revo is about as much fun as you could ask for, it's a challenge for sure but not as hard as it seems.

Plus most of the Revo guys are quite the characters.

I'm normally a stick to a platform kind or guy. This year's been a bit different though. Since the middle of May I've shot 21 different guns in major competitions, from Saiga/Browning/Benelli shotguns, .22, .223 and .308 rifles, different sights, Glock/STI/SV/Ruger/Smith semi autos and even an ICORE match with a 625 thrown in for good measure. My performance has dropped a good chunk at some of these matches. Some is just unfamiliarity with the gun. The Benelli really burned me at Nationals because I could hit anything with slugs. One of the .22's just chose to not run at all. In general the basics are all the same, line the sights up and pull the trigger back. Where you lose time is the instinctive presentation and manipulation of the gun if the controls are significantly dissimilar.