Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USP Tactical in Production?

slippp

Okay. So I was reading the rules on the official rules site on USPSA.

And I may get a USP tactical instead of the non-tactical, but it says "Tactical Models in DAO only". Does that mean my trigger can only be double action only? Is there any way to be able to use DA/SA with one in production legally?

I just want to clarify this before I buy one....

Thanks!

While I can't say with 100% reliability, I think you would be fine with any DA/SA as long as you use it in DA mode only for Production. You find Beretta 92s, CZ-SP01, and varieties of Sig pistols among others that are all DA/SA and legal in production. You just have to use DA only for that first shot.

The fact that the rules go to the trouble of explicitly stating "Tactical Models in DAO only" would cause me to believe that a USP Tactical with DA/SA trigger is NOT legal for use in Production division.

Since the DA/SA would be obstensibly Production "legal" in terms of features, it may simply be that USPSA views the DA/SA variants as distinct model, and that HK has not submitted those variants to USPSA for approval.

Based on the clubs I shoot at (your clubs may vary!): for the occasional Level 1 (local) match, even IF the HK you specified isn't Production legal, if you shoot it "Production style" (holster/mag type/position, 10 round mags, DA first shot, etc.) then it's unlikely anyone would make a stink and get you bumped to Open (again, at my clubs, YMMV).

The Approved Production Gun List doesn't clearly answer the question of whether or not your specified HK is Production legal (although it seems not to be legal). For a Level 2 or higher match, get verification that your specified HK is legal, or be ready to be bumped to Open.

For frequent match/competition use, confirm Division legality prior to firearm purchase (consider a firearm with a proven competition track record - HK is not well represented in competition). (No disrespect to HK intended - just recognizing that they have different design requirements and a different market.)

Best,

ac

While I can't say with 100% reliability, I think you would be fine with any DA/SA as long as you use it in DA mode only for Production. You find Beretta 92s, CZ-SP01, and varieties of Sig pistols among others that are all DA/SA and legal in production. You just have to use DA only for that first shot.

So after LMR, use decocker and then shoot the first shot in DA?

The fact that the rules go to the trouble of explicitly stating "Tactical Models in DAO only" would cause me to believe that a USP Tactical with DA/SA trigger is NOT legal for use in Production division.

Since the DA/SA would be obstensibly Production "legal" in terms of features, it may simply be that USPSA views the DA/SA variants as distinct model, and that HK has not submitted those variants to USPSA for approval.

Well that was what was confusing me. I didn't know if the tactical was only supposed to be DAO; i.e. LEM trigger.

Based on the clubs I shoot at (your clubs may vary!): for the occasional Level 1 (local) match, even IF the HK you specified isn't Production legal, if you shoot it "Production style" (holster/mag type/position, 10 round mags, DA first shot, etc.) then it's unlikely anyone would make a stink and get you bumped to Open (again, at my clubs, YMMV).

The Approved Production Gun List doesn't clearly answer the question of whether or not your specified HK is Production legal (although it seems not to be legal). For a Level 2 or higher match, get verification that your specified HK is legal, or be ready to be bumped to Open.

For frequent match/competition use, confirm Division legality prior to firearm purchase (consider a firearm with a proven competition track record - HK is not well represented in competition). (No disrespect to HK intended - just recognizing that they have different design requirements and a different market.)

Best,

ac

Thanks.

I ended up just getting the fullsize NON tactical. It'll be better for me anyway :P

So after LMR, use decocker and then shoot the first shot in DA?

Well that was what was confusing me. I didn't know if the tactical was only supposed to be DAO; i.e. LEM trigger.

Best,

ac

Thanks.

I ended up just getting the fullsize NON tactical. It'll be better for me anyway :P

That's an easy way to solve the problem. :cheers: