Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fiber Optic Front Site for 625-8

Jesse Tischauser

I want to make my 625 sights look similar to my Dawson fiber front and adjustable rear sights that I use on my Glock 34 & 35. I am assuming I can leave the current rear adjustable alone and simply add a fiber front. What do you recommend?

Also do you use the oversized thumb latch? If so which one?

If you like a thin .100" FO sight, take a look at those offered by Warren Moore on his Protocall Design dealer forum here.

I run a contoured Hogue extended thumb latch on my competition revos. This is purely an area of personal preference, though. My son hates any of the extended releases, and much prefers the stock part.

I use the SDM fiber optic front sight in conjunction with a Millet adjustable rear. I also use the Houge release. The Millet rear sights are no longer made, get in touch with Mike Carmoney and he can tell you what rear sights he is using since the Millet is no longer available.

This stuff is all personal preference, but I use a Millett rear, SDM fiber front, and an Ed Brown cylinder release. The reason why is that Carmoney sold me one of his backups and that's how he had his set up at the time. The problem I have with the Hogue unit (other than the look of it--I mean, why cut off one long pokey spur just to replace it with another) is that the button is too far back. With the way I hit the cylinder release, I have to move my thumb too far back for it to be comfortable (or fast). Of course the problem is that the Ed Brown unit is no longer available. I did find a local shop last year that had 3 brand new ones in stock, but that was just dumb luck. I bought all 3, kept one for my Model 14, and passed the others along here on the forum. California Competition Works makes one that's fairly similar, albeit a bit bigger.

As far as the sights go, I really like the Millett/SDM combo, but if I was starting from scratch I'd probably get the Protocall fromt and keep the stock rear, though I'd be tempted to get the SDM rear cause it's so cool looking and appears to be rugged as hell.

Hogue makes both a long and short version of the cylinder release if you do not like the long one. Since Millet rear sights are no longer available Bowen is the only rear sight that is similar to the Millet that has both windage and elevation adjustments. Again as Revopop said it is all a matter of preference.

• 2 weeks later...

I was on the same quest to copy my awesome Dawson sights from my G34.

Since the front sight apparently could not be machined thin enough without breaking, I had to settle for a skinny machined down front sight without F/O and the truly great Weigand rear. Plenty light between post and rear sight blade. I know you want the F/O front (for good reason) but here's a pic anyways. Good luck with your revo!

post-16271-066482200 1286416446_thumb.jp

OK I started to decipher all of this great info tonight. Thanks guys!!!

My Dawson Glock sights are .100 Wide up front and the rear is ~.122" wide. That leaves me ~.011 on each side of the front when proper sight alighement with the rear occurs.

I also just realized that my 625-8 is actually a 625-2 with a 5" barrel (not sure if they are all that length on the -2's). The current sights are ~.125" wide X .270" tall for the what appears to be a pinned on front sight. The rear measures .135" wide X .090" deep. The rear is adjustable for windage and elevation. I am not sure if these are stock sights as I bought this gun used.

I am leaning heavily towards the Warren .100" front to match the width of my Dawson GLock sights exaclyt and I will continue to use the rear sight that's on the gun currently.

Does anybody have a pictures of these Warren sights handy?

What advantages do the other rear sights give me?

I am thinking that the Hogue standard length release is the one for me as well. I have fairly large dickbeaters. When gripping the pistol with my strong hand and extending my thumb parrallel with the barrel, the tip of my thumb is in line with the back end of the cylinder. I don't think I need any extra length but I do currently have to shift my hand position to push forward and inward on the release to get the stock latch disengaged.

I don't know if any of that made any sense but if it did please let me know if I mma neaded down the wrong tracks based on my observations and assumptions.

Thanks again guys! :cheers:

Edited by jtischauser