Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger Finger & Recoil

TRev1911

I am a production shooter and am giving revolvers a try. I was watching Jerry Miculek's advanced revolver shooting last night. He emphasizes keeping the cylander moving and preping the trigger with even splits between shots. He then mentioned that some shooters try to control recoil with the trigger finger which leads to rushed and slow second shots and a host of other problems. I thought about it and realized on tight and long shots, I am guilty as charged. I now have something new to work on when dry firing. It will be tough to seperate my trigger finger from the rest of my hand.

• 3 weeks later...

What I have done for years is while using a grip strengthener, do the gripping while keeping the trigger finger straight. At first you will have to hold your trigger finger straight with your other hand. But the more you do it the easier it will become. I also have a foam cover from a broom on my dillon reloading handles, I do the same exercise while reloading, just squeeze the handle while keeping your trigger finger straight.

I hope this helps.

What I have done for years is while using a grip strengthener, do the gripping while keeping the trigger finger straight. At first you will have to hold your trigger finger straight with your other hand. But the more you do it the easier it will become. I also have a foam cover from a broom on my dillon reloading handles, I do the same exercise while reloading, just squeeze the handle while keeping your trigger finger straight.

I hope this helps.

also verry important, grip your revo as high as possible and your trigger as low as possible.

gr T

Good stuff!

be

I like Dancing Dan's idea.

I lift dumb bells frequently. I grip my strong hand with my trigger finger off the grip, then while I am lifting I practice tapping my trigger finger against the dumb bell bar/grip. This lets me increase my strength on the grip while leaving the trigger finger mobile. I practice tapping it similar to what I would when pressing the trigger. It seems to help.

Edited by pjb45

What do you guys think about pinning the trigger on strong hand or weak hand only shots to help control the recoil. I find myself doing that. Always thought it was a good idea but after reading this thread I am questioning it.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope this helps.

I am goin to have to give this a try. Thanks :cheers:

What do you guys think about pinning the trigger on strong hand or weak hand only shots to help control the recoil. I find myself doing that. Always thought it was a good idea but after reading this thread I am questioning it.

Nothing wrong with pinning provided you do it perfectly straight back every time. I find it too random personally, so I just crank down with my pinky and ring finger, and let everything else hang loose.

H.