Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SDB & Casefeeder?

I've seen many times in the past, people on here have said things like "if only the SDB had a casefeeder!" I also recall an April fools day joke where someone said it was coming, then we realized it was a joke. But the dillon rep chimed in on that thread and said they'd looked at at, but it would cost too much. (I'd pay $350 if that's what it cost!)

So has anyone ever tried to retrofit a casefeeder to the SDB? I've got some ideas in my head, and sketched some things out, then drew it up in AutoCAD. I'm still working out one of the kinks in my concept. If I do a prototype, it'll probably cost more than a new 650 w/ feeder. I just like the simplicity of the SDB though and I only load pistol cartridges.

So, has anyone tried it? I can take some pre-orders (verbal only of course, this may take a while).

the wheels are turning...

splash

Not sure it would be feasible given the layout of the SDB. Apart from that I think most people who load on a SDB do it to save money so the thought of doubling the press's price would probably push them to the 650. This isn't a shot at the SDB - I loaded on 1 for close to 20 years, just a reflection on price-point and the market niche for the SDB.

I STILL load on a SDB, and agree with gohuskers. If I want more bells and whistlers, I'll pay for the 650 and its accoutrements, which is designed for it.

Having only 4 stations, there's only so much you can do with the SDB (and I'm fine with that). I'd think that most folks wanting a casefeeder might want the extra stations of a 650 or 1050 for all the other extra stuff they might want that literally won't fit on the SDB's platform.

So, unless it is pretty reasonable price wise, I might windowshop, but not buy.

I would definitely like to have a casefeeder for the SDB. Not worried about any other bells, whistles or stations. Just take handling the case out of the equation and up the production by at least 200-300 rounds per hour, maybe more.

If you can get one for approximately the same price as the 550/650 you have a winner. If it is twice the price of the 550/650 you will not sell very many.

I still have a few SD's that I don't use much anymore and thought about building one just to save some beer's life but never got around to it.

Something like this would do it. A sliding door roller, a drawer slide, wire and plastic.

That's interesting.

That video is exactly the type of cam I am trying to design. Problem is the casefeeder is stationary (in my design) and the cam needs to move up and down. Difficult to find a place to attach it to on the SDB, but then, I haven't put any time into it since last weekend. It might take me a while to even work on it. I'll showcase it here if I do get around to building it.

Hello: I have been playing with this idea for a year and will get back onto it after the nationals. The SDB is a great little press and a case feeder would put it over the top for alot of guys who have trouble feeding the brass into it. I am going to try to use Dillon parts and some custom parts to do it. I have the drawings but just need to make the parts and try it out. Thanks, Eric

Not sure it would be feasible given the layout of the SDB. Apart from that I think most people who load on a SDB do it to save money so the thought of doubling the press's price would probably push them to the 650. This isn't a shot at the SDB - I loaded on 1 for close to 20 years, just a reflection on price-point and the market niche for the SDB.

Not so sure the SDB saved me any money , 5 conversions and 4 hoppers later :(

Sweet, Thanks Eric. I'm in the same boat. I have drawings, just need to build it. I plan to use a Dillon case feeder, probably the 550 model, and drop the cases into my part that receives the cases and pushes them in. I even have it worked out where a "caliber conversion" would be simple to produce.

That video is exactly the type of cam I am trying to design. Problem is the casefeeder is stationary (in my design) and the cam needs to move up and down. Difficult to find a place to attach it to on the SDB, but then, I haven't put any time into it since last weekend. It might take me a while to even work on it. I'll showcase it here if I do get around to building it.

What about utilizing the SBD strong mount as a attach point? I like the idea of a simple casefeeder for a SBD, I have 2 one for .45ACP the other for 9mm.

My gunsmith has a simple case feed set-up for a old 1980's vintage 550, he says it isn't sold anymore but works pretty reliably.