Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark said

Sounds like you need to buy some new guns for training, just in case!

Copy that! There is a price associated with prop guns especially at a match. AMMO AMMO AMMO! Who will supply ammo to feed the beast. I can only imagine the difficulty in finding a donor. If there is no donor then is the cost of the ammo wrapped up in the cost of the match fee? In some instances, ie., the prop gun being a shotgun, the shooter may provide the rounds but in the case of a full auto system the owner of the weapon will most likely specify the type.

At least at RM3G, the ammo is usually donated by the stage sponsor whose gun is used. Remember at Blue Ridge, we had to use our own 5.56 ammo in the full auto Sabre.

Yeah, but the Sabre WORKED unlike the cave guns.

Craig

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess there is a question mark over the use of self supplied ammo. I would feel more comfortable knowing that the ammo being used in a prop gun is factory or remanufactured by a reliable source. Have seen a couple mess ups this season with reloads - not that it would happen but there is some risk.

FWIW the USPSA MG Rules require ammo to be march provided with prop guns. Makes sense really. I heard that the only two failures with the Sabre at BRM3G were with reloads.

I worked that stage at BRM3G. There were either two or three failures, all were reloads. Looking at the extracted cases, it looked like a length issues (either case neck or overall- hard to tell without a caliper). We rotated between 2 different guns.

FWIW the USPSA MG Rules require ammo to be march provided with prop guns. Makes sense really. I heard that the only two failures with the Sabre at BRM3G were with reloads.

I worked that stage at BRM3G. There were either two or three failures, all were reloads. Looking at the extracted cases, it looked like a length issues (either case neck or overall- hard to tell without a caliper). We rotated between 2 different guns.

One gun didn't like my GI mag, second round jammed. The Pmag worked just fine.

Ummm, nope. Not quite. I had a failure with it with factory loads.

We used a prop shotgun at this weekend's multi-gun match at Rio Salado. Here is the WSB:

Stage2-Gate-Crashing.png

This is how I like to use use a prop gun - simple gun manipulation even if you have never fired a shotgun before, an easy shot, and the prop gun is used at the start of the stage so it is easy to reshoot if there is a problem. The shotgun was an old Remington 870 with a dowel in the magazine tube so the shooter could only load one shell in the chamber (for safety). We provided the shotgun and the ammo (WalMart birdshot).

Here is some video of me shooting this stage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw8Z3MKIisU

Edited by StealthyBlagga