Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Picking a gun for IDPA Nationals in ESP

pivoproseem

Conundrum..2 calibers, 3 pistols, and not much time left to decide.

I usually shoot an SP-01 for SSP, but was thinking of shooting it in ESP. I have two Tanfoglio/EAA Match pistols, in 9 and 40, both 2005 production guns with the LPA Supersight. I've got the most trigger time on the CZ (and brought home a big plaque from Nationals last year with it, and a smaller one ,too) but have shot the 40 Match a good bit in Limited. I've really fallen in love with the Supersight + Henning made .090 front for the Tanfos and can be very accurate, and the CZ is like a laser beam with the right bullets, but has a porkier front sight. I've got the least time on the 9mm Match, and it is the least proven. I'm leaning toward shooting the 40 Match with a nice and minor 155 Hornady XTP load since the 180s seem so sluggish. The 9 Match is sooooooft, the slide/barrel assembly weighs an oz. more than the 40. THe CZ is old reliable, but I feel I might be giving up a little trigger feel to the SA guns.

Which would you pick and why?

As already stated pick the one you feel most comfortable with, and do it soon. After you choose go get some rounds through it.

I went through the same decisions. I normally shoot ESP but am shooting SSP at Nationals so my 1911 9mm was out. I tried to go back to my M&P but ended up deciding on my CZ 75B. I have been using it for a month now and so far so good.

Actually, the Match frame fits my lanky hand a bit better, it's a little longer front to back than the SP-01. I'm going to run some rounds through the 9 Match and the SP-01 back to back, shoot an IDPA match with the 9 Match...and go from there.

As already stated pick the one you feel most comfortable with, and do it soon. After you choose go get some rounds through it.

I went through the same decisions. I normally shoot ESP but am shooting SSP at Nationals so my 1911 9mm was out. I tried to go back to my M&P but ended up deciding on my CZ 75B. I have been using it for a month now and so far so good.

Whats your classification, and which gun doesnt run ? :ph34r::roflol:

Dan Wesson PM-9 in ESP/SS for me.

Which one have you shot the most recently, or can shoot the best? I'd vote for most reliable first, then personal performance.

Edited by DWFAN

Ha! ESP/EX....since I got bumped to SSP/MA last year. Experimentation cost me a couple of places last year, since I loaded a new bullet a short while before Nationals. I had a failure to feed due to some moly build up on the feed ramp,and the front edge of the brass "plowing" said moly...so I ~should~ know better than to go with something not proved to be reliable.

Whats your classification, and which gun doesnt run ? :ph34r::roflol:

Dan Wesson PM-9 in ESP/SS for me.

Which one have you shot the most recently, or can shoot the best? I'd vote for most reliable first, then personal performance.

Next year, Nationals..CDP with a Hi-Point Fotay Fye

I think you should ditch the CZ's, shake things up a bit and give Hi-Point a shot. :)

Looking forward to shooting with you and Rick. It's going to be a nice change to just worry about shooting.

Call and ask if you can change what you signed up for. If your results are the same as others that I know they will not allow you to change anything except moving up in class within the same division because of a bump or classifier score.

Experimentation cost me a couple of places last year

If for some reason they allow you to switch you should learn from your past mistakes and use what you know works for you.

I'm looking forward to the match and the week after since I'm on vacation...I'm definitely getting some shooting in!

I just wish at least one of my IDPA legal guns had a magwell, but I can even fumble a reload with my Limted gun...

Be sure to check out the Tri-Lakes section of the Dem-Gaz Sunday. The outdoors story is ..girls..with guns ...at the BGC!!

• 2 weeks later...

.....I shot the 9mm Tanfo Match, it performed well, I did not and dropped a crap load of points on the first day. I had a problem on the Standards, but I'm not sure what happened....the only highlight was besting Vogel on stage 12!! SHooting with friends and a good group of guys from Venezuela was great.