Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting prone

prreed10

Any tips? I have tried this recently and have a hard time finding a comfortable position. Fatigue sets in quickly with the arms extended (mostly in my neck) and elbows down is inaccurate and uncontrollable. As always, thanks in advance!

I can never seem to get low enough. One of the 3GM videos covers it. They mention using a golfer's type grip. Interlocking the weak hand trigger finger and the little finger of the strong hand so your weak hand is hanging off the bottom of the gun.

Then you plant the weak hand on the ground. Planting something on the ground seems to be the key, and if you can't get low enough, it helps...I am not sure if that is your issue or not, but something to try.

• 2 weeks later...

What happened to "rollover prone". Nobody seems to use it or teach it any more.

Good accuracy, good recoil control, slight problem with transitions and NO fatigue.

Agreed. And almost comfortable enough for a nap. :)

With the rollover prone (pistol), you can get the gun low enough to use appropriate cover/ports, and you can get your eyeball low enough to get behind the gun.

Link

Any tips? I have tried this recently and have a hard time finding a comfortable position. Fatigue sets in quickly with the arms extended (mostly in my neck) and elbows down is inaccurate and uncontrollable. As always, thanks in advance!

I recommend you get stronger and more flexible rather than ignore an obvious chink in your shooting armor. ;)

On another note, I've only seen one person other than myself go supine in a match. I like supine better than prone personally.

I can never seem to get low enough. One of the 3GM videos covers it. They mention using a golfer's type grip. Interlocking the weak hand trigger finger and the little finger of the strong hand so your weak hand is hanging off the bottom of the gun.

Then you plant the weak hand on the ground. Planting something on the ground seems to be the key, and if you can't get low enough, it helps...I am not sure if that is your issue or not, but something to try.

i find this works very well for me. rollover prone works fine as well but i have found it difficult to compensate for cant at (small) targets more then 30 yards away (i.e. I need to consciously aim high left if I am shooting right handed, rolled over with the ejection port down).

The best way for me is one I learned from a local GM; basically, you roll on your strong arm side just a bit, so that you are sort of comfortable and you use your normal grip(if you were shooting at clouds). All of your weight is on your strong arm side of your body from the about the shoulder on down.

i find this works very well for me. rollover prone works fine as well but i have found it difficult to compensate for cant at (small) targets more then 30 yards away (i.e. I need to consciously aim high left if I am shooting right handed, rolled over with the ejection port down).

The gun shouldn't be canted. You're talking about a different position than the one I'm familiar with.

• 1 month later...

Are you talking about shooting prone at distance, like from 25 to 50 yards? Or on closer targets where you are forced to shoot prone by the stage design?

be