Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New to reloading need help with rifle rounds

goingolf1

I am new to reloading and I have a 550B with Dillon 223 dies. I tried following one of the threads in this forum and I am more confused that when I started. Is there a step by step process to reloading 223 rounds?

The main point I gathered is that the cases need to be trimmed.

Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated or if someone can recommend a good dvd that will walk me through the process step by step that will be great.

Thanks,

Oscar

Here is what I have learned from reading the threads, talking with experienced reloaders and by trail and error:

1. Measure your brass

2. Brass longer than SAMMI specification should be trimmed

3. Clean your brass

4. If you tumble your brass there maybe some media left on the brass, remove it, I use brake cleaner and an old towel otherwise you gunk up your dies

5. I decap size and trim in one pass so

5. Lube your brass, One Shot works ok. I have used some other lubes with great success

6. I load my brass and decap, full length size, and trim, I use a Lee Universal Decap, Redding FL Size, and Dillon Trimmer: note some crimped primers will break your decapping pin! Have extras.

7. I Swage using a Dillon Super Swage

8. Clean my brass

9. Remove media

10. Separate LC (and other good brass) from FC/fc/PMC (not so good brass)

11 Prime, Powder, Seat, and crimp - I use a Redding seating die and Taper crimp- I try to have a slight Taper crimp which shows just a very narrow band around the top of the case which lets me know I have enough crimp

Check on line for the correct length, especially if you are using magazines. They need to fit. 2.24 works for me. This site is excellent:

http://www.reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=18

My favorite load is VV133, SMK 69, 2918 FPS BC~.301, .25MOA at 100yds, JP rifle.

I would recommend trimming all of your brass, even the ones already in-spec. Otherwise your taper crimps are going to vary a lot, some overcrimped, some not crimped at all. Can't be good for accuracy.

+1 I agree. All brass for rifle, in order to be crimped correctly, must be uniform in length.