Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

accuracy comparison of different barrel types

tk4

OK, I will be a little more specific. I know every barrel is different, but what kind of accuracy would you expect from a 16 inch barrel from BCM in--

mid weight stainless ?

govt profile chrome lined?

CHF govt profile chrome lined?

with XM193 ammo?

A better question might be, is there that much difference in accuracy?

A while back I took a bunch of AR stuff in on a trade

Several barrels from BCM and M&A parts (some were unknown) I tested them with premium ammo in a high end reciever.

None of them could hold a candle against high end barrels...one could not hit a 4X8 sheet of plywood at 600 yards.

All barrels are different, and I have seen a couple of bad barrels from better known makers, (and they replaced them) :D

Generaly speaking...you get what you pay for.

Jim

You only need 2 MOA accuracy for 3 gun so a lot if less expensive barrels/ammo combinations will work. If you want the utmost in accuracy get some match ammo and a high end barrel for your matches and long range practice and buy a cheap used upper for hoser practice.

Personally I want to know that my rifle and ammo can hit the long stuff everytime if I do my part. $400-500 on the best barrels is cheap in comparison to the cost of going to one major match.

All things considered. I'd take the 16" SS over the chrome lined for expecting it to be more accurate. But hell....I've seen plenty of chrome lined barrels that shoot half minute with certain ammo. I have had some BCM chrome lined barrels. They shot as good as I expected them too with factory ammo.

I have not had much luck in my JP or my Lother Walther barrels past 200 with XM193. I am not the kind that shoots off a rest a lot and I definately don't keep records but I don't remember any 2 moa groups at 200 or 300. I can hold 2 moa out of my JP at 300 on occasion. I bought a bunch of XM193 back during the ammo shortage and I use it as my reliable big match hoser ammo. I break out the Black Hills 69 Sierra MK or Hornady 55's for major match long range.

I don't do much group shooting either, but I can hit a 10" plate at 300yrds without much trouble with my stainless Wilson barrel using XM193.

Would I probably be able to do the same with a lighter weight govt profile barrel, or would accuracy be noticeably worse?

I don't do much group shooting either, but I can hit a 10" plate at 300yrds without much trouble with my stainless Wilson barrel using XM193.

Would I probably be able to do the same with a lighter weight govt profile barrel, or would accuracy be noticeably worse?

I can hit a 10" plate at 300 around 50% of the time with my M&P15R (5.45x39) with Wolf ammo and a Burris red dot that completely covers the target. So you can do it no problem with a 223 and 193.

I can hit a 10" flasher 50% of the time w/ one eye closed! :)

That was my point. Even the worst shooters with a crappy gun and shitty ammo can hit 10" flashers if you shoot at it enough. Lol!

Hey! I resemble that remark! :)

I didn't say which eye I was closing....