Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Baggage Handlers

Brads1911

On a trip back from Florida I picked my checked bag up and didn't think much about it as I hadn't flown with a firearm this particular trip. Upon unpacking the next day I find my knife that I religiously carry gone from the pocket I put it in five minutes before I left from the airport. I went back to the airport to file a claim and all I got was a missing item receipt. In bold letters at the top it was printed Not A Claim. I inquired as to how to file for a claim and was told that since the whole bag wasn't stolen I had no claim. Needless to say I will fly another airline from now on.

On a trip back from Florida I picked my checked bag up and didn't think much about it as I hadn't flown with a firearm this particular trip. Upon unpacking the next day I find my knife that I religiously carry gone from the pocket I put it in five minutes before I left from the airport. I went back to the airport to file a claim and all I got was a missing item receipt. In bold letters at the top it was printed Not A Claim. I inquired as to how to file for a claim and was told that since the whole bag wasn't stolen I had no claim. Needless to say I will fly another airline from now on.

So they can steal everything out of it but as long as you have the bag its not a claim! BS!! :angry2:

Yep pretty much correct Steel. I have fired off numerous emails to the airline and TSA. Considering that he knife was in a pocket with other toiletries and such and was the only thing missing I questioned them as to how it is considered missing or lost and not stolen. Have not recieved a response as of yet. We will see what they say in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my new shotgun (Benelli M2 Field) when I was in Phoenix recently; had a business trip coming up so decided to pick it up vs. ship it. My return flight was delayed (happened to be the day the guy drove through the gates at Love Field) so it was LATE when I finally got here. Grabbed my bag, then the case with the shotgun... Oh my!! Looked like an elephant tap danced on it. Horizontal and vertical cracks top and bottom, missing latches, broken stablizers on the bottom... and a torqued stock. Claim pending. Will update in new post once resolved - What I Like, or What I Hate... whichever is appropriate. :wacko:

Sherry

I took an NRA match rifle from Phoenix to PA for a shoot in a nice aluminum approved airline container. I had removed the sights and put them in my carry on. As you can appreciate a set of warner rear and riles front iron sights beside being delicate are about $1,000 or so.

I wanted to be sure that the rifle made the connection (US Airways) in Philly. I took the shuttle out to the little commuter planes at terminal F. I went to my gate to watch them load the plane. I got there just as they were offloading the plane when it got in. The baggage handler was taking each bag out of the cargo door and raising it over his head and throwing it as hard as he could on the ground. I thought I was seeing things but he did this over and over to at least 30 bags. He was trying to damage them as much as possible. Either he was having a bad day or this was how he gets his excercise.

Philly airport always sucks but my rifle arrived fine.

Jeff

I fly about 4 times a week and this is why I pack as small and tightly as possible so I only have a less than maximum carryon for just this reason. But when you see baggage handlers purposely abusing luggage, remember that you have a camera on your cell phone!