Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Red Dot

mullet

It seems to depend on many things, most of which are a matter of personal taste.

I've tried the C-More, TASCO, Bushnell, Doctor and Aimpoint (and anything else I could get a look at).

I just bought an(other) Aimpoint CompC since that seemed to me to be the best built, most robust, reliable, light and small enough. It worked the best for me.

Most people will probably say the C-More since it's the most common but I think you have to try and use a few different types and see what works for you. I liked the tubes much more than the HUD type. YMMV.

Kevin

The Gilmore, now marketed by Leupold, is a quality tube sight. I had one that served very well on a .45 Pin gun and my wife had one that went about 40,000 rounds on a steel gun before it self destructed. Leupold did not warantee it. That gun now wears a C-More as does my Open gun. We both now prefer the heads up display.

Is there a consensus on which is the best red dot these days?

I think it depends on the application. What's "the best" for a pistol may not be for rifle or shotgun.

I think the EOTech holosight is "the best" for rifle, but it's a bit bulky for a pistol. Obviously the C-More is by far the most popular for pistol, and probably for good reasons.