Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Keltec PMR 30

Joe4d

I see this gun is finally showing up at gunbroker,,,, listed way over MSRP, but thats beside the point. Anyone had a chance to play with one ? been looking for a back country trail gun in 22 magnum, all I am finding are snub noses or big heavy steel guns,,,

• 1 month later...

I see this gun is finally showing up at gunbroker,,,, listed way over MSRP, but thats beside the point. Anyone had a chance to play with one ? been looking for a back country trail gun in 22 magnum, all I am finding are snub noses or big heavy steel guns,,,

I have not had a chance to shoot one, but my local gun dealer did have one I was able to handle. Gun is very light and points very well. I love the fiber obtic sights. Gun comes with two magazines and the mag release is the european style on the bottom. With 30 rounds, mag changes shouldn't be too bad an issue with this gun. I like it, and if I was rich, I would buy one just to have. The catch is that it is a pistol and I know the 22 mag is more powerful, but is the cost for ammo justifiable enough over a 22 lr pistol? I like carrying my Beretta Neos.

actually a pretty significant increase in power of .22 lr. At least in rifles, I have popped quite a few critters at 150 yards or so and wouldnt expect a .22 LR to do the job. On a mass sales side of the issue I inagine Keltec would sell way more .22 LR's than magnums, but I really like the round, Dang shame about the mag catch , what were they thinking? With more handguns showing up I wouldnt be surprised if ammo makers start making ammo geared more towards pistols,

I shot one last week. Surprising pistol. Shoots very flat, very little recoil from a quite light gun. It was brand new just delivered to its owner and cycled with no problems. Really loud. The most impressive aspect is it's trigger; light, little take-up, crisp break, little over travel. Four of us tried it, everyone held a tight group... Bad news, a piece of the "plastic" covering on the slide chipped off. I'm not sure just what the typical use of this gun is to be. But, it could put a lot of little pieces of lead down range in a hurry. It will wake the neighbors, though.

• 3 months later...

I love mine. However, it is back at Keltec right now. Mine is an early one, and some of them had extractor issues (mine included). It's getting corrected, along with a low point of impact. That being said, it's a cool gun. Shoots flat, and basically, turns a .22 pistol into a hot .22 lr rifle load. You need to be careful to follow mag loading instructions, for it to function correctly. And it's pretty loud. Shoots into the neighborhood of 2"@25 yards. Got mine before the price gouging also. Little pricey to shoot, in comparison to .22lr.

• 3 weeks later...

How is the grip size?

Could it function as a house gun for somebody slight of stature that doesn't shoot much ?

Can small hands reach the trigger?

Weight

Weight unloaded:13.6oz.

Loaded Magazine:6oz.

The grip size is not large, but odd. It is almost traingle shaped. My nine year old like shooting it. Recoil is almost non existant, so yes, it might be Ok for someone with small hands and recoil sensitive. The velocitys run around 1150 for the heavy 50 grain fed loads, and up to 1400 + for the 30-33 grain loads. So, similar to HV 22 lr loads out of a rifle, with actual jacketed bullets. However, did I mention they are LOUD!!!. BTW, I just got mine back from Keltec. It says they replaced the slide,barrel, polished the breech face. Shoots to point of aim, first 30 rounds ran flawless, and they paid all shipping both ways. Really good customer service. And they are just damn fun!!!

• 11 months later...

I'm thinking this might solve my kit gun issue, looks like it will fit in a Tankers style commander cheat holster for horse riding. I like the round, I was looking for something that weight but more accurate at range than a snubby. Taurus came out with a new 22 mag but it weighs 44 oz, cant understand why they wont use their lightweight frame. Are these guns available and shipping ? Worth buying ? At one time S&W made a scadmium J frame with 3 inch barrel and adjustable sights but all I can find are snubbies in lightweight.

I love this little gun. I have a couple friends that have them and have played with them a bit. If Keltec would get on the ball and start shipping them, they would sell like hotcakes. I work at a gun shop and we recieve about one per month. That doesnt do a lot to satisfy the 200+ people on the waiting list.