Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Lee product as bad as they say?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, as an engineer myself, I have to tip my hat to Lee... speaking as someone with four Dillons, who used to own three Loadmasters.

I have to say that Lee is unique in its design, perhaps more so than Dillon. It is easier to produce working design when price point is moved up. Dillon is great, and if you can afford it - by all means buy it, but in its $200+ price category Lee has no equals.

Its case feeder design is simply brilliant... no, it is not 100% reliable, but it delivers what you pay for, plus whole lot more.

It is far easier to produce expensive design - not a criticism of anyone, just the fact of life. But everyone producing good, working INEXPENSIVE designs deserves strong recognition.

Not to totally hate on Lee's Load Master I would not call it a "good design". The priming system lets it down. The rest of it is either good - brilliant. I will give it that. But you got to live with the priming setup and that just isn't going to cut it. BTW, I have a LCT sitting right next to my 650. So I am not a Lee hater. It's interesting that the Lee Classic Turret cost nearly the same as a Load Master. I recommend the LCT but not a Load Master.

Well, as an engineer myself, I have to tip my hat to Lee...I have to say that Lee is unique in its design, perhaps more so than Dillon.

Like using a ceiling fan chain to actuate the powder measure? Yeah, that's a real unique innovation. But I don't spend my money with companies that cheap-out.

leeloadmast.jpg

I agree that the priming system sucks, I was specifically talking about the case feeder. The point remains - you can't use the same design decisions in a $200 product as you use in an $800 one. As far as the chain - honestly, it did not bother me any more than the powder measure return rod on my Dillon- the clunkers galore. I love Dillons and have tons of money invested in them, but to pretend they are without dark spots is naive at best. Like I said, both products represent - in my mind - good value at their respected price points... and neither one is perfect. For the life of me, for example, I can't understand how Dillon can sell brackets with razor-sharp UNFINISHED corners with their $1600 reloader... I don't remember tearing no flesh on a $200 LoadMaster.

post-21305-0-44182900-1308862815_thumb.j

Edited by Foxbat

Well, as an engineer myself, I have to tip my hat to Lee...I have to say that Lee is unique in its design, perhaps more so than Dillon.

Like using a ceiling fan chain to actuate the powder measure? Yeah, that's a real unique innovation. But I don't spend my money with companies that cheap-out.

leeloadmast.jpg

I got rid of that toilet bowl chain and put a spring on it - worked much better! I like the idea of the case feeder on the LM cheap and works so so, but once you get past the cost of the dillon case feeder it is very very nice and worth the money.

but once you get past the cost of the dillon case feeder it is very very nice and worth the money.

That's the key... let's not forget that for million reasons $800 is a lot of money for many people. Many shooters have one gun, and need something reasonably priced to feed it. I know several such people, and they have Load Masters or Pro 1000's. OK, so they curse at the primer system from time to time, but they get ammo, and pretty fast, BTW. I at one point ran two LM's set up for two different calibers, and after a while you learn to live with it, and it becomes a fast and efficient machine. At the same time I have also heard of people who were unable to make theirs work.

All in all, given my reasonably large experience with Lee products would I recommend it for someone on a budget? Yes, I would.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to totally hate on Lee's Load Master I would not call it a "good design". The priming system lets it down. The rest of it is either good - brilliant. I will give it that. But you got to live with the priming setup and that just isn't going to cut it. BTW, I have a LCT sitting right next to my 650. So I am not a Lee hater. It's interesting that the Lee Classic Turret cost nearly the same as a Load Master. I recommend the LCT but not a Load Master.

It is interesting that Lee states they will never use a priming system that incorporates a tube feed. They say it is not safe... This is from their reloading manual.

There are some Blue Kool-Aid folks who write disparaging things about the competition's products. Just because someone writes something doesn't make it so.

I have a L-N-L and the primers not seating on my press were caused by the shell plate getting loose. I have never had any timing problems. During a move, the wire-guide for the primer slide got bent. Hornady sent me a new one and the plastic "thing" that connects the wire to the top of the press.

If someone has a complaint and they haven't contacted the manufacturer, I can only shake my head.

The only press that I have worked with that is in any way "better" is the Dillon Super 1050.

There are some Blue Kool-Aid folks who write disparaging things about the competition's products.

That cuts both ways. I was once banned on a very well known reloading forum for suggesting one needs to check the Hornady powder measure screws from time to time, as they sometimes become loose. This was based on my personal experience with that press, but I was accused of tarring the honorable brand name.

Foxbat:

Yes, some people have the need to put down others brands to justify their selection. They live in a world where what they bought is the BEST and the rest is junk.

I have for years told people I knew who wanted to reload exactly why the Hornady was right for me and then described the other presses. So far, only one has gotten a Hornady. The rest went along with the Range Experts and bought the full-up 650 with case feed. One even bought two presses at the same time.

I don't think any of them have loaded more rounds per year than I have, and they have the comfort of knowing that many agree with their decision. However, they have spent a GREAT deal more money for their press or presses and a Great deal more for caliber conversion kits.

I gave up my L-N-L to my son after I became the "proud" owner of two 1050s and my wife felt that I had enough presses and could give him one.

The 1050s are really great, and they have a very positive primer seating system. However, I have had more problems with the primer feed than I ever had with the Hornady.

At one point during the on-going recession, I considered selling my three 1050s and going back to a L-N-L, but my wife wouldn't hear of it.

...and a Great deal more for caliber conversion kits.

In my experience that is not correct, if you compare apples to apples. But be it as it may, I used to own the Hornady, and while a good press, I think, for instance, the fully equipped 650 is a much more pleasant machine to use.

But I think we deviated from the original question... :)

• 3 weeks later...