Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bianchi H2046 And A Cz

Vlad

A friend gave me his unwanted H2046 and I was playing around with it and my 1911, and then I got curious. Well it seems that my CZ fits in quite well and works great, except for one small detail:

2046-cz.jpg

It doesn't look to me like it covers the whole trigger as per IPSC rule book, but I can not think of a scenario where it would get snagged the right way. The picture is not that clear, but about 1/2 of the trigger thickness is covered. I am thinking I can add some little wings and make it right, until I buy a CR Speed, but before I try to be all handy and inventive I though I'd ask and see if the rest of you think I need to. What do you think? Is it legal or not?

Vlad

Vlad,

Most CZ, P9 and EAA guns look very similar to yours when used in many 1911 speed holsters. I used my EAA Gold Team for several years and numerous State and Area matches in a Safariland 008 without a comment from a single person or RO. In my situation, while you can clearly see the trigger (more is exposed than in your picture), you cannot really get a finger in the gap and pull the trigger.

I think that the rule is open to interpretation by each RO that sees the situation but, if the trigger is protected, I think that it should be OK. Perhaps Vince will chime in with the "Official" IPSC position on the matter.

Leo

Vlad,

even if I agree with Leo and Erik on the suitability of that gun/holster combo (the trigger is not reachable in any way), if you are still in doubt, are you sure you can't file a little deeper in the trigger guard tunnel of your holster, to allow the gun sitting deeper and covering the whole trigger?

Just my .02 worth.

It doesn't quite work that way. The trigger guard stops against a pin which also controls the tention. I could drill a lower whole for it, But I don't know how that would affect retention. I can try it.

Thanx all.

Vlad

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Sorry to chip in so late on this issue, but the relevant IPSC rules are:

5.2.7 Competitors must not be permitted to commence a course of fire wearing:

...... 5.2.7.4 A holster which does not completely prevent access to, or activation of, the trigger of the handgun while holstered.

In my view, the holster pictured in the original post looks acceptable, although I must admit it seems to be at the extreme limit of acceptability.

Vince,

I advised a fellow shooter of mine that a situation as pictured above would NOT be accepted by me if I were working as an RO. (He also got the holster from a friend and tried it to fit his gun.) I could "wriggle" my finger in and activate the trigger, just as I suspect is possible in the here depicted situation.

Reading your comment, am I too strict ? :(

Garfield,

it is difficult to judge from a flat picture. I would als need to see whether there is any room for a finger to get between the trigger and holster. I agree with Vince that judged from the picture this setup is very on the edge of what would be allowed, my final verdict would depend on another angled view of the holster/trigger position (or the combo in hand, seeing it live).

Garfield,

I would rather you be "safe than sorry" so, no, I don't think you're being too strict.

However Yoda is right on the money. Judging from the picture above, I say it's on the edge of acceptability, but I would have to reserve final judgement until I actually saw the gun in the holster at a match.

This is similar to the brouhaha about the photo of Rob Leatham on the cover of the latest issue of "Front Sight". Pictures can speak a 1,000 words, but sometimes they're the wrong words (which is why we don't accept audio-visual evidence for appeals to Arbitration).

Vlad,

In view of the comments here, my advice would be to use a holster which completely covers the trigger guard, so that you will not be challenged. I can't imagine it being much fun going to a major match and being told to change your holster, especially if you've trained with the one above and/or don't have a spare with you.