Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

7.62 in Open

DyNo!

Does anyone shoot 7.62 in open competitively?

I might have an opportunity to get my hands on a 7.62 piston rifle for three gun but I'm thinking 5.56 would be better since:

1. Strings will be faster

2. Some rule sets don't recognize major

If a competition doesn't recognize major, then the rifle becomes a shortcoming.

If it did find itself my way, I'd have no plans to make it legal in any other division with the JP tank brake that would go on it.

If you could choose between 5.56 and 7.62 and money was not an object in the decision, what would you choose and why?

Edited by DyNo!

223 in Open, hands down. higher mag cap, less reloads, less recoil, faster follow up shots, etc, etc...

762 is for HeMan (heavy metal).

Get it, change out the comp, which is easy, put some iron sights on it, and have fun in HeMan division!

jj

When you say 7.62 are you talking x39 or x51? If x51 then you could of course compete in Heavy Metal division which is recognized in all the major matches. Some even allow HM Optics and HM Irons as separate divisions. x39 doesn't really offer any advantage but plenty of costs (mag capacity, lack of available accurate ammo, recoil, etc.).

When you say 7.62 are you talking x39 or x51? If x51 then you could of course compete in Heavy Metal division which is recognized in all the major matches. Some even allow HM Optics and HM Irons as separate divisions. x39 doesn't really offer any advantage but plenty of costs (mag capacity, lack of available accurate ammo, recoil, etc.).

When I wrote the post I had x51 in mind but the same goes for x39. There's no reason to give up the rate of fire and capacity for a few points. It isn't worth it - 5.56 for me!