Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for a Glock for GSSF

DocMedic

I'm thinking about picking up a Glock so I can shoot the GSSF matches that we get down here every once in a while. I was looking at the rule book (or what was supposed to be one.) And they seem pretty strict on what you can't do to the pistol. Amateur Guardian seems to be the division that I would shoot in. I was wondering on what type of Glock I should be keeping my eyes open for both in spec and generation. I shoot and reload 9mm in production and 3gun so I would believe this to be the correct caliber to look for. I know the 4th Gens have something like a recoil master or some sort of double spring recoil rod in them, but I'm not sure if this is and ideal setup for a "competition" gun.

Also I have question that wasn’t really cleared up for me when reading the rules. Under what they say is illegal modifications for stock pistols, I didn't see trigger jobs, but seeing how you’re not suppose to change the guide rod or springs, I'm guessing this isn't a allowable mod correct?

Edited by DocMedic

A 17 is the most "practical" choice... You can enter every category except sub compact /major sub....

The biggest "no-no" is externally visible mods. Polish the trigger ok, drop in modded trigger not so much. Vanek makes triggers approved for some divisions.

The beauty of the Glock is you can use the stock parts at GSSF matches, then you can switch out anything/everything in 5 mins for your "perfect competition setup".

I have not played with Gen 4s yet, so I can't really attest to good/bad on them...

what HS said, the 17 is pretty much it, you can shoot alot of catagories with it, as for gen type??? might wanna go 'rent' one an try it out first, i shot an indoor league with a gentlman who had one ofthe new RTF grips and the palm of his hand was pretty tore up, for me, the mods i usually do is to swap out the sights, I love the glock firearms, they just kepp on missing the boat on sights....Glock in the beginning were pretty general on the do an dont's, now they are pretty rigid on the rules, for me, i usedto run a 17 in am civ. that had a nice set of Bo-mar adjustable sights that were 'melted' into the slide, now you cant do that sort of mod. and still shoot in am civ.

go out an have fun, I just shot a GSSF match down in Richmond Cali. yesterday, my buddy the MD saidthey were gonna get 300+ guns to show up, and my shooting buddy and i were both shooting 3 guns and were done by noon.

The quickest answer is "The Glock you already own!" If you're going to buy one, get a G17 of whichever generation you prefer. You can use the stock sights, but they slow me down. Replace them with something you like, I personally like the Sevigny's with FO front, and also Heinie's. You could pick up a beater trade in from a PD, and the armorer at the match will replace any parts needed (for free). What's not to love?

Like everyone says a G17 is the gun to get. Mine has won a few matches with just Dawson sights and a lightened striker spring. I have a 34 I use for Production with a take-up adjuster and over-travel stop plus the lighter striker spring. The trigger is little better but it not different enough to change my performance.

I just shot a GSSF match down in Richmond Cali. yesterday, my buddy the MD saidthey were gonna get 300+ guns to show up, and my shooting buddy and i were both shooting 3 guns and were done by noon.

I heard they had about 340, a huge turnout! I got there Sunday morning at 8:45, and there were 20+ people waiting to sign up or check in. By 9:15 there were 5-10 people on each bay with most shooting more than one division. The exception was the plates, funny how people don't like to start there.

Like everyone says a G17 is the gun to get. Mine has won a few matches with just Dawson sights and a lightened striker spring. I have a 34 I use for Production with a take-up adjuster and over-travel stop plus the lighter striker spring. The trigger is little better but it not different enough to change my performance.

I just shot a GSSF match down in Richmond Cali. yesterday, my buddy the MD saidthey were gonna get 300+ guns to show up, and my shooting buddy and i were both shooting 3 guns and were done by noon.

I heard they had about 340, a huge turnout! I got there Sunday morning at 8:45, and there were 20+ people waiting to sign up or check in. By 9:15 there were 5-10 people on each bay with most shooting more than one division. The exception was the plates, funny how people don't like to start there.

Funny how some people won't bring their teenage daughter to a GSSF match, but then I wouldn't want to see how close she is to catching up to me, might make me feel a little older.. :-)

I'd throw my 2 cents in and say get a G22, more of a versitle gun, you can use if for USPSA and IDPA along with GSSF, heck, we'll even let you bring it and shoot our ICORE matches at Richmond with it (no more than 8 rounds in the gun though)

michaels

The 17 is a great choice. You can pick up a used Gen 3 for less than $400. For GSSF classes except unlimited you must use a stock Glock. It may have any parts that were, or are presently manufactured by Glock.

Again, I would recommend a 17 with a quality set of steel sights. Remember: Glock perfection ends at the top of the slide.

340 at richmond???? wow....yeah it is funny how noone really wants to start on the plates, we want some cardboard out thereto see where we are hittin....hehehe even with 340 guns, i signed up at what?? 9ish shot 3 divisions and was on the road home by noon

and i do like what Mr. said about perfection ending atthe top ofthe slide, some other set of sights on a new or used(cant really abuse a Glock, we had a one as a rental in an indoor shooting range that went 60,000 rounds in 6 months, and only broke one part, that was a 2 dollar part and 5 minute fix) and you will be good to go, caliber??? thats up to the individual, course your talking to someone that shoots 10mm out of their subcompact hehehe

I forgot to mention one of the primary benefits of joining GSSF. You have to join in order to shoot matches. As a benefit of being a member, you can purchase any of the standard models (17,19,22,23,31,32) for only $425, which is just slightly over LEO pricing. Depending on your location, that alone could be a savings of quite a bit of change. In my area, most dealers want to gouge for up to MSRP. Some areas have realistic pricing, mine is not one of them. That alone makes joining GSSF a no brainer.

Since you reload 9mm, a 17 or 19 would be the most likely candidate. If you want an easier trigger, you can put in a Glock 3.5# connector and polish all the surfaces that move/rub during trigger pull. Other than that, about all you can do to it is replace the sights or put on a Agrip if you don't like the Glock grip texture. The long slides (17L, 34) aren't generally allowed in amateur class. I'd have to recheck the rules...there may be an exception to that for children, but if you're shooting Guardian, I don't think that applies to you.

Other GSSF benefits: Last I checked, GSSF members get lifetime warranty on their Glocks, and GSSF is CMP affiliated.

Other GSSF benefits: Last I checked, GSSF members get lifetime warranty on their Glocks, and GSSF is CMP affiliated.

Glock stands behind ALL their pistols, no matter who bought them, or how old.

I know...but technically, I think Glocks have a limited warranty (1 year, 5 years?) and they list the lifetime thing as a benefit of GSSF membership. Really, the main reason to join GSSF is you want to shoot the matches.

but if you shoot a GSSF match and they happen to have a Glock armorer there on site, take your gun, no matter how old to them, after a few simple checks they will replace old/worn out parts FOR FREE!!!!! as part of Glock's commitment to their product, and to me, well woth the price of admission

As you asked about the Gen IV Glock 17 or the regular one, I might caution than many are finding the Gen IV guns have a higher trigger pull than the third generation or RTF-2 models. That may or may not be important to you.