Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Two Piece Slide Release

kdj

I discovered a new failure mode on my STI last night! After about 200 rounds, I heard a click instead of a bang. I tried to rack the slide and that's when I noticed this was not the usual failure. The top end moved back, complete with barrel.

A little investigation showed that the slide release looked OK from the left side but there was a hole rather than a pin on the right.

This is a two piece slide release with the pin held to the lever by a little screw. In spite of Locktite, the screw had worked loose and the pin fell out.

So, other than to introduce yet another failure mode into a system that already seems to have plenty :P, can any one tell me why one would use a two piece slide release, as opposed to the good old single piece?

Is there some advantage that I'm overlooking as I revert to the "old fashioned" kind?

There are advanatges to K.I.S.S. (he says some what hyporitically since the whole notion of an open gun seems to contradict that principle).

Kevin

The intent was the ability to use/replace pins of the proper size for the frame hole.

You've seen the result. Just buy a one piece replacement. Any of the name brands work well. I prefer the SVI because the face of the lever that bears against the slide stop/thumb safety spring has a slight bevel/detent that works to hold the slide stop in the down position.

When I worked at STI in 95" , they cut the barrel feet the same on the cnc equipment. When fitting to a gun, it would take different size slide stop pins to lock up tight. Instead of recutting the bottom lugs, they would just put a different pin in till it fit. add a screw & slide stop drilled & presto, a fit. Not a great ideal though.