Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Define "Activate"

Singlestack

I disagree with Rule 4.5.1 being applied to show that a mag can not be used to activate a step pad. The base Rule 4.5 applies to "Rearranging of Range Equipment or Surface", not the validity of triggering activating targets. The intent of Rule 4.5 is to define that the shooter can not physically modify the COF. Activating a step pad by any means is not "Modifying" the COF.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with a dropped mag, although it might just be a premature activation (4.6.1). Throwing a mag at an activator is something else altogether.

So while I'm making a mag change and the ejected mag or worse yet, I miss the magwell and the full mag flies in the air and falls on the activator, it's would be a premature activation and an REF and a reshoot?

Further more if an RO or RM tried to issue the 10.6 Rule (Unsportsmanlike Conduct)against me for throwing my mag onto a step pad instead of stepping on it, I would have to retaliate with Rule 1.1.5 which states that the stages must be setup in a Freestyle format which permits me to solve the stage in my own manner. Obviously if the WSB states that you must trigger the step pad by stepping on it then that is a different situation. But if how the step pad should be activated isn't defined in the WSB then it can be activated by however I deem is the best way to do so per rule 1.1.5.

Mandating a Forbidden Action to non-safety situations after the match starts is also not the appropriate answer in this situation either. Just because the stage is able to be shot in a faster/better way due to a loop hole in the WSB or stage design it doesn't mean that the creative shooters who figure out the loop hole should be punished. That is a lesson for the stage designer, RO, CRO, RM, and MD to not let happen in future matches. Creating forbidden actions in order to force how the stage was "intended" to be shot directly circumvents rule 1.1.5.

Mandating a Forbidden Action to non-safety situations after the match starts is also not the appropriate answer in this situation either. Just because the stage is able to be shot in a faster/better way due to a loop hole in the WSB or stage design it doesn't mean that the creative shooters who figure out the loop hole should be punished. That is a lesson for the stage designer, RO, CRO, RM, and MD to not let happen in future matches. Creating forbidden actions in order to force how the stage was "intended" to be shot directly circumvents rule 1.1.5.

I couldn't agree more. This one single point caused some of the 'liveliest' debates when the rule was posted on USPSA.org for comment prior to adoption (Hi, George!).

As has already been mentioned, the FA should be used only for safety related issues. Using it to impose "intent" amounts to inept stage design and lazy match management.