Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Powder scale to use

Spades

What's the best, most accurate Powder scale to use for reloading?

I've been reloading my 45 colt for about a year now, but just recently started reloading 45ACP.

Bought some Clays powder to try and noticed the variance between the Starting Grains and Never Exceed was only .3.

Starting grains at 3.7 and Never Exceed at 4.0. I have a small digital scale the reads out in .1 increments but sometimes I watched the reading kind of fluctuate before it settles on something.

Loading 45ACP.

230gr FMJ bullets

Just how DEAD NUTS on the number do I have to be? If I have to be, then what's the best scale to use?

Thanks again guys!

when reloading for my pistol rounds, i use an RCBS beam scale. ill run about 10 throws to get the measure working smoothly then weigh one to see where its at (my Hornady powder measure has been silly accurate). then il measure 5 throws together to see if its accurate over a series of throws (always has been). then i load my ammo. about every 20 or so, ill toss a charge onto the scale jsut to verify nothing has been bumped while loading.

for my rifle rounds, i use a digital scale/dispenser combo. MY RCBS Chargemaster started acting goofy on me last night so i got out my Lyman 1200 DPS3 scale/dispenser. I think i may like the Lyman a little more than the RCBS unit. and yes, i verified the charges with my beam scale a few times after they were thrown by the machine-and they were always accurate.

I bought a J-scale (Jennings) JS-VG-20 and love it. :)

It has a resolution of .05 grains which is very nice. The storage case and the wind cover it comes with are very nice and protect the load cell.

Edited by Classic_jon

i have a dillon electronic that was given to me, that i check with a dillon beam scale that was also given to me, as for 'dead nuts'??? neither ofthese types of scales are going to give you that, i hear the higher end scales like the promethius will weigh a single kernel of powder, but it costs an arm an a leg(somewhere around 2000 dollars) for what we are doing, its generally ok to be within .1 variation, if you are getting say .5 or a full grain variation, STOP, and figure out if somthing is wrong