Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with 550 Failsafe Alignment

I just purchased a RL 550B Deluxe Quick Change Assembly to load 9mm. The problem that I am having is at station 2. It seems that after my powder is dropped in the case and I am lowring the shell plate the fail safe rod gets bound up in the bellcrank housing. almost like its is totally pulling itself out of the rear portion of the bellcrank. First thoughts would be the rod is bent wrong at the z section but I load 44mag, 10mm and 45 acp all with this rod and no problems whatsoever any ideas what could be causing this?

Does it do it with no brass on the plate? Are you sure the powder die is not sticking in the case mouth? 9mm is notorious for sticking.

+1. All the powder dies will stick somewhat. I load 38 super with a 9mm powder die (I think) at it sticks a bit as well.

ok guys I think I solved this, I just loaded 50 without any binding whatsoever. It appears my failsafe rod was NOT properly aligned with the return bracket. I loosened the lock ring on the powder measurer and gave the whole measurer a slight counter-clockwise turn to put the rod more in line. then readjusted the belling which was very little and tightened everything down. I think the problem is solved, I hope, will keep an eye on the powder die as to it sticking never knew that but hey I always learn something new on this forum when i visit here, thanks guys :-)