Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Perfect Technique

xsniper

I have often read that we should only be practicing perfect technique. With that in mind, if practicing a drill that requires a draw, and the draw is muffed, should the repetition be continued (because you have to finish in a match), or should the repetition be stopped and begun again with a perfect draw?

i continue the motion and finish what i was working on. then i slow things down on the next couple to make sure i re-enrgain the "perfect" technique. then ramp the speed back up to normal and continue

I have some very good shooter friends that travel to different matches with me and I was watching them practice in our motel room. If they screwed up a reload or a draw, they would kind of blow it off and not finish their drill. I advised them that they should finish the drill and work through the bad technique, every reload or draw isn't perfect and if you don't know how to recover from a mistake come match day... well we all know the results from that.

I have some very good shooter friends that travel to different matches with me and I was watching them practice in our motel room. If they screwed up a reload or a draw, they would kind of blow it off and not finish their drill. I advised them that they should finish the drill and work through the bad technique, every reload or draw isn't perfect and if you don't know how to recover from a mistake come match day... well we all know the results from that.

Good point!

Pat

for me it kinda depends...

if it's just a failure to execute perfectly, like getting a bad grip on a draw, I push through it and adjust like I'd have to on match day. If something is just plain wrong, I stop and figure out why. A good example is a missed reload, was it just imperfect execution? or was it failure to perform some fundamental like failure to look the mag in or maybe I wasn't holding the gun in a way that lets the mag line up with the well. I might stop and analyze where my eyes were looking, where my attention was placed, where I was holding the gun, etc. Practicing wrong technique is not good, either. This is especially true for me if I "miss" something more than a couple times in a row. I might push through the first 1 or two, but then I have to figure out what's going on. This lets me fix any problems before they become rutted in so that I can continue practicing "perfectly."

-rvb

Edited by rvb

I have often read that we should only be practicing perfect technique. With that in mind, if practicing a drill that requires a draw, and the draw is muffed, should the repetition be continued (because you have to finish in a match), or should the repetition be stopped and begun again with a perfect draw?

If you only practice with perfect technique, you will never get any better.

You get better by pushing yourself to the point of technique breakdown then fixing the technique at the higher intensity.

If you only practice with perfect technique, you will never get any better.

You get better by pushing yourself to the point of technique breakdown then fixing the technique at the higher intensity.

Yes to both of those.

be

• 3 weeks later...

... if practicing a drill that requires a draw, and the draw is muffed, should the repetition be continued (because you have to finish in a match), or should the repetition be stopped and begun again with a perfect draw?

What is the goal?

Is the drill the goal? Or, is the drill a means to learning a skill (or skill set)? Is the draw a big part of the exercise? Or, is it just included in getting to the meat of the exercise ?

I'd likely break it down into pieces and examine the parts.

... if practicing a drill that requires a draw, and the draw is muffed, should the repetition be continued (because you have to finish in a match), or should the repetition be stopped and begun again with a perfect draw?

What is the goal?

Is the drill the goal? Or, is the drill a means to learning a skill (or skill set)? Is the draw a big part of the exercise? Or, is it just included in getting to the meat of the exercise ?

I'd likely break it down into pieces and examine the parts.

That is an interesting thought. The reason I brought it up was because of practising a drill (learning a skill set) that was initated by a draw. The real meat and potatoes of the exercise was really transitions.

In that case, the drill itself is adding in some match pressure simulation. But, if you really are only interested in the meat and potatoes, and not the whole meal, then it might be OK to start the drill with the gun in hand at the "high ready".

High ready = both hands on the gun, the gun is not yet extended and presented to the target.

However, if you are missing a number of draws, they you probably need some draw practice...of and by itself.