Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WTK: Bull barrel v bushing performance

SMSI

I have tried out a Caspial single stack .40 pistol that shoots great. However, it has a bull barrel. If I switch to a bushing barrel for IPSC singlestack and IDPA ESP, how much difference should there be in felt recoil, muzzel flip, etc all other things being equal?

I have an STI chambered in .40 that's fitted with both a bull and bushing barrel (5" gun). I'm no GM, but I can tell you blindfolded the difference. The bushing barrel has a markedly sharper percussion. Its a couple of oz lighter as well, so it flips a touch more, but mostly its just snappier.

I figured as much. Any idea on the # of OZ in weight difference between a bull and bushing barrel (with bushing)? This gun is slightly overweight with the bull barrel as per some postal scales in my office. not sure how accurate they are. By the way this gun is a Caspian frame and 5 " slide, not "Caspial."

IF you are going to shoot both sports with the same gun.... Dump the bull barrel and get used to the bushing barrel. Not that much difference and you need to get used to the timing and it's much harder to do switching back and forth....

The Bull barrel would only be kosher for IPSC open, limited or limited 10, right? Nothing in IDPA. Although bill drills with the bull barrel are REALLY slick ....

BTW, the Caspian "racing" frame with integral mag chute is legal for IDPA ESP and IPSC Singlestack, isn't it? This would fit the boxes, depending on the mags and base pads.

Thanks for the info and insights..

Yeah, it'll be different with a standard barrel, but you'll get used to it quickly. The Caspian Race Ready frame is legal as far as I know, but they do tend to be heavy. You have have some material removed from the frame under the grip panels and if you really need to, go with a GI guide rod and plug. R,

Hello: I would fit a bushing barrel as well for IDPA. You are going to download for IDPA I assume to a power factor of 131 or so. For USPSA you will load it to 171PF or so for limited 10. The bull barrel will calm that recoil of the USPSA load. The bushing barrel will index better for IDPA. In the end you will have to decide which you like better a heavy bull barrel or the lighter quicker bushing barrel. I still have to fit a bull barrel to my 5" IDPA pistol for USPSA limited to see what I like better. Thanks, Eric

I would look for another pistol, buying a gun with the intent of switching barrels isnt a very wise proposition. You will be better off buying a gun that is already legal for the sport you intend to shoot. Make sure you add in the cost of the new barrel and fitting expenses. For a .40 you can run into a few hundred dollars real quick. STI is making some real nice singlestack .40's setup to be legal in both sports and make weight without multiple trips to the machine shop,

I would look for another pistol, buying a gun with the intent of switching barrels isnt a very wise proposition. You will be better off buying a gun that is already legal for the sport you intend to shoot. Make sure you add in the cost of the new barrel and fitting expenses. For a .40 you can run into a few hundred dollars real quick. STI is making some real nice singlestack .40's setup to be legal in both sports and make weight without multiple trips to the machine shop,

If this works out, I'm trading something I never shoot for something I didn't know I wanted until I tried it out! So, maybe I'm moving sideways, but not backward. The whole .40 single stack thing is interesting.

This is a sport and a hobby. Many, if not most of us, love the toys as well as the development of the skills to use them in an expert fashion.

If you want a gun with 2 barrels, its your money. I haven't been sorry once that I spent a whopping $300 to have a second barrel fit when the gun was being built. I love being able to go to an IDPA match with nothing more than a change of barrel and magwell. There''s not a single compromise in that 5" gun. I had it built my way.