Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 Major Chamber Depth Delima

CocoBolo

I just put a Clark 9 mm barrel in one of my open guns with a Dawson Comp. I test fired the gun ran some plate racks etc with some of my RN ammo and the gun shoots fine with this ammo loaded at 1.170. I tried some of my longer JHP ammo and nope it is not going in there.

Today I had the barrel out and tried to determine the max OAL of each bullet type that would fit in the chamber. Making up a too long dummy bullet with a 125gr JHP Zero I put it in the chamber and pushed it in which sunk the bullet to a depth that fits in gun deterined that Max OAL at 1.140 for JHP. I test this out, sure enough 1.140 fits fine. In the 124gr RN Montana gold I did the same thing and found that 1.170 works fine. I tested the gun with 1.170 RN and it ran fine and the load was at 178pf with no pressure signs.

My other 9 manor gun will take the hollow point out to at least 1.180 and RN out to 1.200.

The question is should I have the gun reamed out and if so how far and with what tool? I'd like to use JHP's but 1.140 is fairly short or is it?

Is this a case if it isn't broke don't fix it?

Thanks.

I tried search and didn't find it.

Ron,

your gunsmith can make your freebore deeper, pretty much as long as you need it to run your favourite load.

I know a couple guys in Houston who run their 9's up to 1.2" OAL.

Could not tell you what tool to use if you want to do it yourself.

Good luck!

Roman

1.140 isn't going to cut it for Major 9. I wouldn't want anything less than 1.165.

The OAL isn't really what it's about though, it's about seat depth. Also, the profile of the bullet as in if it hits the lands in the barrel.

JT

Edited by JThompson

1.140 isn't going to cut it for Major 9. I wouldn't want anything less than 1.165.

The OAL isn't really what it's about though, it's about seat depth. Also, the profile of the bullet as in if it hits the lands in the barrel.

JT

JT I'd like to hear what you think would be opitmal, my intent is to use 125gr Zero JHP's same a I use in my 38 Super Comp guns.

Hello: Most load the 125 Zero's to 1.180" I load all my 9mm Open to 1.170" and have no problems. Have Wayne open up the throat a little deeper to make the Zero's work for you. Or go to Corpus and have Benny do it for you :cheers: If I load my Mech-Tech Glock 9mm with the Zero's I can only load them to 1.130". The bullet profile is what gets in the way. I forgot to add the 115's are the way to go :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Edited by Aircooled6racer

Hello: Most load the 125 Zero's to 1.180" I load all my 9mm Open to 1.170" and have no problems. Have Wayne open up the throat a little deeper to make the Zero's work for you. Or go to Corpus and have Benny do it for you :cheers: If I load my Mech-Tech Glock 9mm with the Zero's I can only load them to 1.130". The bullet profile is what gets in the way. I forgot to add the 115's are the way to go :cheers: Thanks, Eric

Did you know Wayne is retireing and closing the shop? I think probably what I should do is measure my other 9 major gun and see how deep it is, I'l probably shoot the short champber next weekend and see if there are any other problems then take it in, and shoot the 38 SC barrel some. Did I forget to say this is a 2011 aka STI Briley.

Edited by CocoBolo

Ron: I wish I was still in Corpus so I could take a look at the tools and parts Wayne has that he may sell. He was a great guy to shoot with and very helpful when I was just beginning. I could always use some more tools :cheers: Ron it will only take 2 minutes with a reamer to correct your problem. I did that with a CZ Shadow I had and it made it shoot even better. I also had to do that to a Kimber a friend has. Good luck with your project. Thanks, Eric