Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Want To Get Started

First I hope this is the right place to post a question like this. I have been reading about the 3-gun matches for a little while. I presently shoot IDPA & IPSC ( not classified yet). I have searched around on the net and gotten as much information as I can find but I am confused on where to find a set of Rules for 3-gun matches. It seems that there are different rules for every match.

So

1. Where is the best place to get general information on How a match is run and what kinda of stages/ examples of stages.

2. If I were going to shoot my first match what would I need to bring?

Thanks for your help.

Kschwan

I have no idea about the state of local 3 gun matches in Texas.

Rules can differ between organizations BUT we are seeing a convergence now that USPSA has the tactical class. Stages can differ greatly.

Look at 3gunmatches.com for a good list of matches as well as searching here.

For a first match I would pick an equipment class (open, tactical/scope, or limited/iron sighted rifle) and then

1) For the Rifle: have at least 3 magazines, a mag pouch (3gungear.com), a sling (Ching or Vikingtactics.com), and a GOOD zero

2) For the shotgun: you'll probably need some slugs, again have a good zero or at least know where to point the shotgun when you shot a slug, you'll need equipment to hold shotgun shells so you can load them. If you go the weakhand route, you'll want several Choate shellholders. If you go the strong hand route, you'll want an armband and 3gungear.com shellholders on your shotgun. Bring some heavy shot if you don't have interchangeable chokes, heck bring some if you do.

3) Pistol: Your standard kit ought to do just fine. 3 gun tends to be vigorous so a holster that really retains the pistol is a good idea. I'll take a .25 second slower draw anyday over losing my pistol.

I shoot with a baseball glove on my lefthand (I'm right handed) to protect my hand while I'm loading the shotgun. It also offers some protection while shooting around barricades and falling down in the dirt.

Knee pads are a good idea as well. No 3 gun matches have the dumb IDPA rule forbidding knee pads.

Going to watch a match before jumping in may be a good idea. 3 gunners are the friendliest bunch of shooter you'll ever meet.

. . . I am confused on where to find a set of Rules for 3-gun matches. It seems that there are different rules for every match.

That's just the way it is. Before you shoot a match, unless they verify that it's USPSA/IPSC 3-gun rules, your best bet is to contact the match director and get specific information. The other guys have covered the general stuff!

If it's a USPSA/IPSC 3-gun, then you can find the rules in the USPSA rule book.

Some matches and organizations have their own web sites where they post applications, results, and summaries of the rules. Many of them are based on USPSA rules, but will tell you where they diverge or deviate.

Amarillo isn't to far from OKC. On the last saturday of February the OKC gun club is going to have a 3 gun match. 3 stages each of rifle, pistol, shotgun, USPSA rules for right now. Come on over and watch or join in. The guys here are absolutely great, and I am sure anything you would need, or borrow wouild be available. Look for info on bentworks, or OKCGun club web site. KURTM