Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Assembly of Ruger 22/45 Mark II

gng4life

Hello All,

I really hate to post this but I'm about to beat my head in the wall. I took my Ruger 22/45 Mark II apart and took out the hammer, sear, etc. Now trying to get it all back together is a nightmare. I have searched on Youtube for days and googled everywhere but still I am missing something.

After I put the hammer and pivot pin back in, put the receiver back on, I push the mainspring housing in all the way (protrudes slightly through the receiver) then I try to swing the mainspring housing gently into the grip. It pushes out as I try to swing it in every time. I am holding the trigger but I noticed it's not releasing the hammer so it can't move up and out of the way but I don't see why. I know the sear (and spring) is in place and it looks correct but it seems to catch the hammer edge and not allowing it to move. I have taken it out and in several times but the same thing happens every time so I am sure it's something I'm doing/missing. I referred to this page the most, http://www.guntalk-online.com/2245detailstripping.htm and it has great pictures but it's just not working for me.

Does anyone have any advice (besides selling it or throwing it out the window :)) Yeah, I could take it to my gunsmith but he is so busy now, I hate to bother him with something that should be a two minute job.

Thanks for any help or advice...

I GOT IT!! It doesn't work without the trigger plunger apparently!! :( When I saw the diagram of of the trigger animation on the guntalk site, I all of sudden noticed that the disconnector was not being lifted and pushed at the same time which led me to check the plunger. After looking for about 30 mins, I finally found it (it fell on the floor under my work bench). I have the pistol back together and it seems to function by dry fire (yeah, I know it's not good for it). I'm just glad it is together and ready to go back to the range.

Thanks for all the posts and especially for this animated .gif on guntalk that helped me to see what was going wrong.

I guess it would not have been a "2 minute job" if I couldn't find the plunger :)

Thanks to all again!

Edited by gng4life