Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w 686-7 7 Round L Frame

Chuck D

The 7 shot 686 model Smith....does this gun come with a cylinder machined for moonclip use from the factory?

I was asked this today and after doing a bit of research...I can't find out for sure if it is machined from the factory or not.

IDPA does not allow you to machine the cylinder for moonclips...that's the reason for wanting to know.

Thanks in advance ! :lol:

AFAIK it's designed just as the regular 686 .38/.357. No moonclips :( You'll have to use speedloaders.

You might want to try the 686 .38 super. Desiged for moons + short cases = lightning fast reload (is that possible with a revolver? :D )

i have one that was a 'factory' mooncliped but i'd guess or likely performance centre.

it did have barrel ported and the words S&W engraved along the barrel...

maybe they'd accept performance centre work? be worth asking

Brentm

IDPA does not allow loading more than 6 rounds in the gun for revolver class. You can use a 7 shot 686+, but no moonclips are allowed and you'll have to leave a charge hole empty in you're speedloader. Nothing like going BANG ,BANG, click, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG.

Mark at Pinnacle High Performance does the moon clip conversions, just needs your cylinder, does one batch a month. Give him a call or email at www.pinnacle-guns.com He does incredible things to Revos! All of my match guns have been worked on by him. DougC

The 7 shot aint cut from the factory for moonclip.

Having said that, I know some who have had theirs cut for the moonclips and they work real well. Good reloads and a 7th round when it can be legally used and is necessary.

• 2 weeks later...