Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which one? M&P Pro in 40 or 9 for IDPA SSP

Classic_jon

I am looking at purchasing a new pistol and I am asking for opinions and suggestions as to the pro's and cons of an M&P pro in 40 or 9. I am on the fence on which caliber to get so I thought I would ask here.

I currently shoot a Springfield XD in .40 so logistics wise it would be easier as I should be able to purchase components for, load up, and keep track of one ammo type.

I have also heard several people say that in the long run shooting 9mm is cheaper but in looking at the cost of the die set, caliber swap/plate for my 550b it will take a while to recoup that cost. In looking around, the 9mm bullets on average seem to be about .03 cheaper per bullet than the 40.

If there is any consideration I have left out here please let me know.

Suggestions and opinions are welcome :)

One nice thing about .40 is you can shoot Major PF with just a bit more powder in the same cases.

I shoot a .40 in IDPA and Production and my only real reason for doing it, is that .40 was the caliber I had when I started shooting competitively.

I see no downside to shooting 40SW at minor PF. I started with 9mm Glock 17. One year and a half lated added 40SW Glock 22. Shooting 147gr 9mm Precision vs. 155gr Precision bullets feels the same. 40SW gives you the option of shooting USPSA major if you want. At my range the left behind brass is almost all 9mm. Depending on your range brass may be an issue. I know I'll never run out of 9mm. There's probably no real difference for IDPA. Get the 9mm then you will know and have your own opinion. The difference in the price of bullets will pay you back.

If you're reloading and the pistol is reliable with 40 minor reloads then that would be the way to go for you. Reliability is the big unknown in your equation.

The whole reason I am really looking at an M&P is that I borrowed a friends backup 9mm M&P to shoot a classifier with an SSP gun and was within 1.07 seconds of expert with factory WWB 127gr ammo and an unfamiliar gun. :)

The M&P's also seem to fit my hand well with the large grip insert and just "felt good" in my hand.

The reliability part is a factor to consider though as the M&P in .40 is new.

(edited because I can't spell)

Edited by Classic_jon

You can't go wrong with either or, but be fore warned, if you get the M&P pro in .40, theres a good chance you'll never shoot your XD again :roflol:

The reliability part is a factor to consider though as the M&P in .40 is new

M&P .40s have been around for a while now. they just added a 5 inch slide and barrel :P

Edited by DocMedic

9mm vs 40 S&W? Depends on what you want to shoot in the long run.

9mm = GREAT for IDPA SSP & ESP, USPSA Production, and OK for USPSA Limited and Limited 10 Minor (Minor is a bit of a disadvantage)

40 S&W = OK for IDPA SSP & ESP, USPSA Production, GREAT for USPSA Limited and Limited 10 Major (fully competiative)

Factory ammo: 9mm is cheaper then factory 40 S&W by 5 to 10 cents / rnd or so...

Reloaded ammo: 9mm is cheaper then factory 40 S&W by 2 to 4 cents / rnd ro so... (most .40 bullets are about 2 cents more expensive)

No matter which cal you pick, if you shoot a lot, you'll want to reload to tune the ammo.

BTW there have been some reports of extractor issues ithe M&P in 9mm (mine had them and I'vre read a few other reports) but I've not heard that about the .40 S&W M&P's.

Bottom line, I suggest 9mm unless you really think you're going to end up shooting USPSA Limited ? Limited-10 a LOT!

Edited by Rob Tompkins

I really like being able to just go to Wally World and pick up decent ammo to shoot at the spur of the moment... Easy with a 9mm ... but .40 is a lot for SSP or ESP unless you hand load.

With that being said I shoot a .40 is ESP most of the time and when I get a new M&P 5" .40 I will probably shoot .40 in SSP. If you were not set up for reloading I would definitely go with the 9.... Like it is now....?

Whatever feels good. biggrin.gif

The reliability part is a factor to consider though as the M&P in .40 is new

M&P .40s have been around for a while now. they just added a 5 inch slide and barrel :P

True ;). I was meaning in the 40 Pro 5" series. :rolleyes:

I am looking at purchasing a new pistol and I am asking for opinions and suggestions as to the pro's and cons of an M&P pro in 40 or 9. I am on the fence on which caliber to get so I thought I would ask here.

I currently shoot a Springfield XD in .40 so logistics wise it would be easier as I should be able to purchase components for, load up, and keep track of one ammo type.

I have also heard several people say that in the long run shooting 9mm is cheaper but in looking at the cost of the die set, caliber swap/plate for my 550b it will take a while to recoup that cost. In looking around, the 9mm bullets on average seem to be about .03 cheaper per bullet than the 40.

If there is any consideration I have left out here please let me know.

Suggestions and opinions are welcome :)

A long while ago I bought the M&P 9FS, then the 9 compact, and then the 40SW FS.

If I were buying today I'd get the 40 Pro then buy a Storm Lake 40 to 9mm conversion barrel and a few 9mm mags.

The 40 would be for matches and the 9mm would be for cheaper practice.

I reload so ammo isn't a factor.

JMHO

To me this question is common sense. Definitely, unquestionably, get the 9mm. .40 can be made to work and may even shoot a little softer, but it's not worth the additional expense. Ammo is the most expensive thing you ever buy for your gun, just like gas for your car. Cheaper ammo means more practice. Ammo cost, over time, will be at least several times, if not many times greater than the cost of the gun itself.

I shoot .40 in Limited because that's what's competitive. I shoot .45 in Single Stack for the same reason (although if I had a .40 I'd shoot that). Other than that, I shoot 9mm in everything, because, like I said, it's almost common sense to pick the most popular cartridge in the handgun world, which is necessarily cheaper in consequence.

9mm vs 40 S&W? Depends on what you want to shoot in the long run.

9mm = GREAT for IDPA SSP & ESP, USPSA Production, and OK for USPSA Limited and Limited 10 Minor (Minor is a bit of a disadvantage)

40 S&W = OK for IDPA SSP & ESP, USPSA Production, GREAT for USPSA Limited and Limited 10 Major (fully competiative)

Factory ammo: 9mm is cheaper then factory 40 S&W by 5 to 10 cents / rnd or so...

Reloaded ammo: 9mm is cheaper then factory 40 S&W by 2 to 4 cents / rnd ro so... (most .40 bullets are about 2 cents more expensive)

No matter which cal you pick, if you shoot a lot, you'll want to reload to tune the ammo.

BTW there have been some reports of extractor issues ithe M&P in 9mm (mine had them and I'vre read a few other reports) but I've not heard that about the .40 S&W M&P's.

Bottom line, I suggest 9mm unless you really think you're going to end up shooting USPSA Limited ? Limited-10 a LOT!

This is how I see it as well. It depends on what you intend to use it for, and how many guns you want to compete with. I use my XDm 9 in both IDPA ESP and USPSA Production - and it is competitive if both, the problem is me. I also have the option to shoot USPSA Limited (if I don't mind scoring minor). A 9mm gives me options and costs less to shoot. You would have even more options with an M&P 9 as you could shoot IDPA SSP or ESP.

I like having options and I am cheap (plus have 3 teenage daughters, college expenses, etc.) so it works for me, for now.

Your results may vary.

I shoot a M&P9Pro in 9mm and an STI Trojan in 40 S&W. I can relaod the Trojan to the same power factor as the 9mm loads. I purchased the 40 S&W since I acquired a large supply of 40 cal. jacketed bullets.

I shoot a M&P9Pro in 9mm and an STI Trojan in 40 S&W. I can relaod the Trojan to the same power factor as the 9mm loads. I purchased the 40 S&W since I acquired a large supply of 40 cal. jacketed bullets.

Nice. That's like buying a new car cause I just found a deal on tires - but they don't fit my current car. I like that.

Anyone know where I can acquire a large quantity of anchor chain? I can then buy myself a new sailboat to fit it in.

Sweet. I wonder if my wife would fall for that logic. Worth a try.

Edited by dbxdm9

This debate has been running laps through my head while I wait forever for my .40Pro to come in. I want a 9 but I already have a 5906PC, I don't have a .40 anymore and I have a serious stock pile of both 9mm and .40. With my elbows being a wreck I don't want any recoil but I need a little because I carry a .45 at work. The 9mm conversion mention already certaining is an appealing option but the barrel and mags add up in cost. I need a gun to continue shooting lim major but do I really need to shoot major as I don't give a rat's ass about match ranking.

There really is no answer.

There really is no answer.

Looks like you found your answer with the 9L. Congrats!

If someone was to buy the 40Pro and the $130 Storm Lake 40SW/9mm barrel, & a few 9mm mags (for practice and plinking) they'd have an option available for shooting major in the future.

Many of our local shooters have gone to shooting 40SW loads for IDPA ESP/SSP and shooting USPSA Production (minor). I'm shooting 40SW now because my old eyes can see the hits better. IF the new gun owner ever decided to shoot USPSA major they'd already have the gun. Sure, they added $200 for the conversion barrel and mags but it's cheaper than buying another gun.

Yes, 40cal bullets do cost a little more than 9mm. I prefer to shoot 147gr 9mm bullets, more "push" and less "snap", than the lighter bullets. I also like the 155/165gr 40SW bullets, so the price difference is very minimal when you compare bullet prices. IMHO.

Edited by LikesToShoot